Cambridgeshire Scramble 1950's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridgeshire Scramble 1950's

This pic is from the Mike Petty Collection, a local social historian, location unknown but possibly at Elsworth. No 11 looks like a 20S Greeves as is No 513 in second pic. Looking at Mike Pettys index the pic of riders running for bikes is 7th Sept 1954.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/10/2021, 11:54 AM.

Nice pic John. He is ahead of all the big bangers, too! It does look as though the rider on #40 is about to turn up the wick and blitz past him though; a Gold Star I think?

Ian C.

Comment

7th. September 1954 would have been a Tuesday, an unusual day for a scramble meet (?) Agree that pics were from outside of the Eastern Centre ACU. Riders numbers do not match any from that time in the Eastern Centre.
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 14/10/2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
        7th. September 1954 would have been a Tuesday, an unusual day for a scramble meet (?) Agree that pics were from outside of the Eastern Centre ACU. Riders numbers do not match any from that time in the Eastern Centre.
        Have checked and it was the date photo appeared in the Cambridge Evening News. The photo was taken by them. So looks like it would have been the preceding Sunday 5th September.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/10/2021, 11:11 PM.

Comment

In that case, scramble would have clashed with one in the ACU Eastern Centre at Wakes Colne on 5th September 1954, for which I have a programme on file. No matching numbers evident in the programme for that event, so scramble in the photos very likely to have taken place in the ACU Centre covering Cambridge, perhaps at Balsham or (later?) Elsworth. Looks to be a well-established course, so probably the former. I have earlier programmes for Balsham. Does anyone have a programme for 1954 to confirm, I wonder?
          Last edited by johnrunnacles; 16/10/2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

It would have been a South Midland Centre event & almost certainly Elsworth

Comment

Working...
            X