Rust in petrol tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust in petrol tank

Hi, I’m just trying to recommission a ‘63 Scottish and I’ve found the tank has some rust in it. What I can reach with a finger rubs/falls off so I’m thinking it’s likely to be a problem.

Apologies if this topic has been covered multiple times. I did search quickly but didn’t find anything. Links to any such thread would be more than welcome.

So, what do I do? Lots of suggested remedies online but what do folks on here do?

Jon

By the sound of it, it's only light surface rust through standing empty. You could rattle some clean stones/gravel around in it to loosen any which may be flaking, then empty out, and soak it in a solution of phosphoric acid for a few days, ensuring it is completely full, agitating from time to time, then drain, flush out with clean water and dry it very quickly, then add your petroil mix, which should prevent any further issues. Don't use a tank liner, whatever you do! Phosphoric solution is harmless to paint, so won't do any damage, and can be kept in an air-tight container & re-used. Normal dilution with water is around 10:1 , so 1 litre would probably be enough..

You might be as well to post such questions in 'Help & Advice' from now on.

Ian C.

Comment

Thanks Ian, and posting advice duly noted too.

Jon

Comment

Working...
      X