Sub frame tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub frame tube

Looking to fabricate a rear sub frame for a project. Essentially 3/4” OD seamless steel tube bent and shaped, sif bronze welded together.

Measuring a sample piece of tube from a long since scrapped Griffon revealed a wall thickness of 2mm. A bit chunky by any standard.

Modern (current) standards for seamless tube, cds or t45 have thinner wall thickness in the 1.6 to1.2mm range.

Has any member fabricated, or repaired a subframe and what tube did you use?

Talking of tube, I have 4 pieces of 30mm o/d x 2mm wall thickness they came from a tubular framed chair if any one can make use of them
    Attached Files

Comment

I have a commode and a toilet assist frame if anyone needs lightweight tube. (Only one owner, low mileage. Both been cleaned in case you are worried!!!)

Comment

My intention is to replace the rear subframe on my sort of TFS trials bike with aluminium plate 3mm thick, the same as I used for the engine plates, hoping for it to be thinner, lighter and with a slightly lower seat height

Comment

I got the seat height down about 4” compared to standard (original). Even modern pre65 trials and associated riding styles require a low seat height. Probably lower than the seat tube rails. Good luck with your aluminium creation.

Comment

Working...
          X