gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox

can anyone confirm that the cam barrel Challenger box can be altered to one up or one down operation by moving how he barrel is fitted?

Peter,
    Some reverse gearboxes were made, I think they went mainly to the USA. Apart from the obvious requirement to set up the box you'll need a different cam barrel and the corresponding indexing shaft. Kenny Sykes might be able to offer some help.

Druid

Comment

The problem is Ian B put a Challenger 4 speed box in his Silverstone- the gearchange is now the wrong way round, and as it is a left foot change its unrideable, I could manage a right foot change but he hasn't ridden a British bike for years.

Comment

Frank Conley showed me a box full of these he could not get rid of !!, so should be as John says with Kenny.

Comment

Do we have a number for him? Peter.

Comment

Dont know a phone number by Kennys email is ksykes@sbcglobal.net

Comment

The question we have not asked is which way is first on a Challenger, up or down?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10728.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	87553
                Most challengers are 1 up although I had an MX2 in 1978 that was to American spec (1 down).
                My 24MX4 Challenger albion boxes (1968) are both 1 up,
                but I'm thinking of converting them both to 1 down if I can find another reverse cam barel as i have the 2 indent shafts required and 1 reverse cam barrel already. My understanding is you need to change the indent shaft and Cam barrel but I'm the least technical person here, so I'd give both gearboxes to Geoff Nunn (the gearbox whisperer) to do his magic.

(see image)
                Last edited by John macleod; 22/05/2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Seems this box came from a US desert racer,

Comment

Hi Peter,
                    Are you thinkng of changing it to 1 up?

Comment

Ian has decided to make a reversing linkage, its easier then stripping a gearbox we know works, and he is better at cutting and welding than boxes of oily bits, I am going to turn the pivot, he will make the lever and glue it all together. We have till Pembrey next month.

Comment

Good luck guys

Comment

Working...
                        X