Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 24TCS Model wheels & rear sprocket..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
    I don't know how you managed to post that up, but well done! +1 to John W's comments. All the important bits are there. Correct mudguards are available from Villiers Services including 'D' section rear. Front mudguard stay from Adrian Dickerson; see LL Suppliers List. VS can do any engine work, rebuild cranks at reasonable cost etc; all engine & gearbox spares available. Nice project.

Could be a C12?

Ian C.
    Thanks....no it's a C11G

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post

The 863B prefix gives us the engine type. Rob Carrick's and Mick Walker's book "Villiers Everybody's Engine" says that it is either a 9E allocated to Cotton or a 32A allocated to Greeves.

The engine plate is wrong. You can get a 32A engine ID plate from Villiers Services. They'd stamp the right number on it for you. You'd also need new rivets. The old ones come out easily enough.
      The number I've quoted fits into the sequence of those being fitted to the 24TCS by Greeves at the time the bike was made.

Nothing to worry about. It just depends how authentic you want your restoration or rebuild to be.
      Brilliant....so although I have matching engine and frame numbers the engine should be stamped 32A not 31A.
      If I left ID Plate as 31A would this cause any problems with DVLA when I register it? Had a bit of bother with them before over registering my BSA Bantam but common sense prevailed in the end

Thank you, John.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAli View Post

Cheers for that.....so essentially I have a modified 31A ........ 9E bottom end with 32A Barrel and con rod?
        Engine ID plate looks original and is 31A 863B 802.

Yes, it's a BSA C11G
        Not necessarily, as the actual number stamped on it is the same as Colin quoted, so just stamped on the wrong plate (ie a 31A plate and not a 32A plate).So really a 32A engine. I suppose errors did occur at Villiers.

Comment

They were probably using up the last of the 31A engine plates; waste not want not etc!

Ian C.

Comment

Much better than what I started with.
            My barrel fitted was a machined down 32A to fit a 9E bottom end at some time in its life. Didn't know this till the piston protruded 1/4 inch above the top of the barrel. 1/4 alloy plate machined up. Coupe of seized engines later, worked out base wasn't machined square to the barrel. Local machinist sorted out problem.
            My chain case has a 9E ID plate. Didn't know I can get a replacement.

whitehillbilly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JohnAli View Post

Brilliant....so although I have matching engine and frame numbers the engine should be stamped 32A not 31A.
              If I left ID Plate as 31A would this cause any problems with DVLA when I register it? Had a bit of bother with them before over registering my BSA Bantam but common sense prevailed in the end

Thank you, John.
              That's right. It won't impede your authentication or registration application to DVLA if the plate says 31A. The bike just needs to have an engine number and the "31A" bit isn't part of it.

Like I said before, it just depends how authentic you want your rebuild to be.

Colin
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
              X