leading link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leading link

Just read my first copy of leading link ... June 2020 can i get any back copies especially any with Scottish info in ....
    and triumph engined bikes
    ... Great Newsletter
    Dean

I'm speaking for the Editor here, however I do know that we usually have some back numbers for sale at shows so there is a bit of a stock. It would be pot luck which issues are available. Obtaining a full set would be pretty much impossible these days.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Deano
      Nice to welome another Scottish owner to the clan. With regard to Leading Links and info on the Scottish Issue 43 of about 1991 is the definitive one for the info you seek. Sadly I have been unable to get a back number from the club but perhaps somebody on here could send you a scanned copy. Since then there have been other issues with articles relating to the Scottish, suggest you scan through the index files on the website and then ask for any that you think may help. As you have found with your other posts there is a wealth of information out there, just ask and somebody will have been there, done it, got the T shirts.
      Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Dave Pink was selling I think a full set a month or so back, He did have a buyer, but last time I spoke to him they had not been collected Deano I will PM you Dave's number.

Comment

Thank you Ian..

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
            Dave Pink was selling I think a full set a month or so back, He did have a buyer, but last time I spoke to him they had not been collected Deano I will PM you Dave's number.
            John.... ill find out if he still has it ...

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
              I'm speaking for the Editor here, however I do know that we usually have some back numbers for sale at shows so there is a bit of a stock. It would be pot luck which issues are available. Obtaining a full set would be pretty much impossible these days.
              Colin thank you for the info

Comment

Originally posted by 350biker View Post
                With regard to Leading Links and info on the Scottish Issue 43 of about 1991 is the definitive one for the info you seek. Sadly I have been unable to get a back number from the club but perhaps somebody on here could send you a scanned copy....
                The article mentioned, the definitive account of the Greeves 'Scottish' models and their development written by Andrew King and published in 'Leading Link' 143 has already been scanned (many moons ago!) due to it's importance/relevance and can be found here; https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...reeves+Article

Further general info to help get you started on your research can be found here, as well as elsewhere on the forum for more specific topics (there's loads if you spend a bit of time searching out what you need)….https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...s-on-the-forum

Dean....in order to be able to read/access the above links you will need to get your forum status updated from 'Basic User' to 'GRA Member' as most of the material I've scanned/posted of this nature is in the 'GRA Members Only' area of the forum (for obvious reasons....) I believe Ian Thornton is the man to contact for that as you're now a fully paid up member (as noted on one of your other threads) and then you'll be able to access all the content on here. There's not much that hasn't been covered re the Scottish models on here as they are so popular.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your Greeves.

Brian.

Comment

Thanks for popping in with the invaluable links in your post, Brian. I seem to have missed the earlier discussion and references made then, so your refresher of today has enhanced no end the resource I now have available to me, which I shall enjoy reading "at my leisure"!

Thanks again, my friend, and "take care".

JR

PS Apologies for "butting-in" on your thread, Deano.
                  Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/07/2020, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Has anyone ever attempted to collect all of the Leading Links and scanning them for the club? It would be another benefit of joining if one could access such an archive of information.

Comment

I have a full set of LL, but 213 issues X 40 pages means 8520 pages to scan and you'd have to destroy the copies to do it. Not really practicable is it?
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Didn't think you would have to destroy them to get them scanned, that wouldn't be good. The 8520 pages, I could do that, but the commute would make that impractical as well

Comment

I am sure that they could now be saved/ exported in a pdf format so future copies can be accessed electronically. I would prefer an electronic version, not saying we should not have a paper version just my preference - save all those trees.

Comment

There's no way my 213 Leading Links are coming off their staples. I was simply pointing out the difficulty. If anyone can find a set; best of luck.
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

I am sure there would be others who would not mind their copies 'coming off the staples' Colin so an electronic back catalogue could be created. This would be particularly useful for new members trying to find out information on their bikes. This is even more important now with the decline in responses from the very knowledgeable members and those who now choose to use the other platforms available.

The point I actually made was that I would prefer in future an electronic version, surely a pdf can be created so any members who want an electronic version can get one?

As for the practicability of scanning - the June issue is made up of 11 double sided A4 sheets whether that is representative of other issues I don't know. However if you take that as the standard number of an issue then the number of sheets to copy is 213 x 11 which = 2343 individual sheets to be scanned (they scan double sided)

Not a huge task for a professional company and the GRA has the reserves to do it, perhaps not the will?

Comment

Working...
                              X