Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 MX4 frame how to strip it ? What to coat it with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 MX4 frame how to strip it ? What to coat it with?

I'm waiting for a 24MX4 frame to arrive, it's all very exciting.

Looks like it has a mix of rust and red oxide paint all over it.

I've watched Craig McCoo on facebook emery cloth his Challenger frame down over the CV19 crisis.
    He's off the Whiskey but it's taken a lot of Gin to get him through the process.

Is there a better way?

Can I take everything off the frame and take it to a frame stripper (any recommendations near London) or to one of the metal platers off the Old Kent road in London (if they still exist) to chemically get it down to the bare metal. Would they plug anything with a thread or taking a bearing, Is that a big issue if they don't
    Then what to coat it in?Any recommendations for what to coat the 24MX4 frame would be gratefully received?

I know my other 24MX4 is painted in silver paint (see pics) and I love the scars where the paint has been warn away - me falling off regularly probably adds some history all of its own (its a race bike not a show bike) but for the new (rusty) frame I was thinking of plating it in something a bit more exotic or stove enamelling it, may be nickel plating (did I hear a rumour Ian's MX4 has a nickel coated frame)? A few MX4 pics of my much loved 24MX4 is enclosed to keep us all positive, plus one of Richard Wayward showing how it should be ridden properly
    Stay safe everyone!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John macleod; 06/04/2020, 03:37 PM.

I've used these people in the past and they have done a good job preparing the frames before powder coating. Chemical strip, finishing and masking of all threads etc. the trouble is I think they are closed during the pandemic. https://ctc-powder-coating.co.uk
    Alternatively, if you have a pressure washer you can buy a cheap and pretty nasty sand blast attachment on the auction sites. I have one and have got pretty good results, but it uses a lot of dried sand and creates amusing sand dunes on my lawn.

Comment

Haha, KevinLS amusing sand storms on the lawn eh? I'm thinking pyramids? Thanks for your help, that's really useful. Stay in and stay safe. Kind regards John

Comment

Working...
      X