Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to discover what model Greeves Scottish I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to discover what model Greeves Scottish I have?

Hi, I’m new to the site, I have recently brought a Greeves Scottish, which I’m going to restore, it’s my first restoration, it’s actually in the paint shop as we speak. I really asking for help on how to identify the model, I’ve a 1960’s bike with a Villiers 9E engine. My frame number is 60/1624. Also is there anywhere I can get a workshop manual?

Hi it’s a 24 TCS would of had a 250 engine

Comment

I have a fully rebuilt Villers 9E engine and 3 speed gear box, with engine brackets and front exhaust pipe, any idea what this would be worth? Do you know where I could get a Villers 32A engine? Or would anyone be up for a swap?

Comment

This bike has featured on this forum previously https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...olling-chassis
        The 9E engine will fit, but the 3 peed gearbox with be a limiting factor, 32A engines do come up on eBay from time to time but expect to pay around £500 for a good one. What part of the country are you JDub?

Comment

Hi John, thanks for getting back to me, I’m down in Cornwall, I do have a spare 3 and 4 speed box too but I need to rebuild them both. I’d like to put the bike back to its original condition, so I’ll look for a Villers 32A, do you know if the gearbox’s are the same on the 9E and 32A? I can’t seem to see the link you posted, comes up as not allowed to view when I dry to open it!
          Is there anywhere I can get workshop manual from? Like I have said before this is my first classic restoration project and any help pointing me in the right direction for parts, manuals etc would be most helpful. Thanks John

Comment

The gearbox is the same fitting for 9E as 32A but you really need the trials gears. Workshop manuals for 9E and 32A engiens are available from Villiers Services. There is no workshop manual for the bike, only service sheets available from the club. You need to be a member to read the thread in the link I posted as it was in the members area. But that was just a link to the time it was on eBay with a dealer in Plymouth, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402122245...m=402122245698 I assume you were the buyer.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 15/03/2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I live in Cornwall. Whereabouts are you? What's your name?

The engine with 3-speed 'box is not going to be worth that much. Also, John is being very optimistic thinking you can get a good 32A engine for £500! You might be lucky and get one requiring a rebuild for that, but then the expense starts.

If yours is a 9E, and not an 8E as previously advertised with this bike, you can swap one of your 4-speed 'boxes onto it, and rebuild your 9E as a 32A. You will need to get your crank rebuilt with a 5 1/2" conrod, then all you need is a 32a barrel, piston & head.

The engine plates are the same for a 9E & 32A.

If it is an 8E, you need the whole 32A engine & 4-speed 'box with trials ratios.

Joining the GRA will be invaluable to you with this project, and cheap at £20!

Ian
              Last edited by IanCordes; 15/03/2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Confirmed from the factory record: it is a 24TCS and its original engine was a 246cc Villiers 32A
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                  If yours is a 9E, and not an 8E as previously advertised with this bike, you can swap one of your 4-speed 'boxes onto it, and rebuild your 9E as a 32A. You will need to get your crank rebuilt with a 5 1/2" conrod, then all you need is a 32a barrel, piston & head.
                  Ian
                  You could (if you can find one) fit a 31A barrel, piston and head to your 9E. That has the thin base flange and you can use the shorter 9E rod. The 31A was used in the Bond Minicar so maybe you may find one within the Bond fraternity.

Comment

I picked up a barrel at a swap meet for my 32A.
                    STD bore. Didn't realize till the piston poked out the top that it was a 31A one.
                    Had a Alloy spacer plate made up.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Annoying when something like that happens isn't it? I once experienced the reverse issue trying to put a 32A barrel onto a 31A...

Had a spare crank with a long conrod in so fitted that. It was a while ago. You live and learn
                      Colin Sparrow

Comment

The good point about these engines is the relative interchangeability of parts, which can enable an apparent mis-match of parts to work..However, although a 31A top-end would provide 250cc, if the OP is looking for originality, a long-rod crank and 32A top-end is what he needs.They do come up.Then a suitable engine ID plate from VS.....

Ian

Comment

Villiers Services only supply the long conecting rod on an exchange basis. They're getting hard to find.

They've got plenty of ID plates, though.
                          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                          X