Robin (Rob) Thornton MBE 1951-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
    Difficult to put into words my sadness at the news of Rob's passing. He introduced himself the first time I did the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory with my Silverstone some years ago. We met several times over the years as my Greeves race bike collection grew and he kept promising to bring his to Mallory unfortunately not to happen. His knowledge and encouragement will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Rob. Colin
    It's too bad Colin, because me and him had talked about Mallory, and I think soon enough it would've happened, although he may have brought his Yamaha!! I do hope to make it there eventually myself. Keep going with the Silverstones. My dad loved them, and his original RCS is still with us - my mum said that even if none of us kids were interested, she'd still have kept it. It was the bike he was racing when they first met back in the 1970s.

Comment

For Ian.....

Hi Ian. Like many of us I'm still coming to terms with your dad's passing. I first heard by reading this thread just after it had been posted and to be honest it made me cry. I had a long chat on the phone with Dicky on Friday night and it helped a lot (both of us) but it's going to take time to process for all of us. Once I've got my head and feelings straight I want to post something more meaningful as a tribute to your dad and to try and express my respect, admiration and gratitude, both for his friendship and all the help he gave me personally over the years, also for his tireless efforts on behalf of the GRA and the help he gave to so many members in so many ways.

It has been a comfort to see so many people (the best part of fifty at my last count) offer their thoughts of respect and condolence on the FB Greeves Enthusiasts page, many of them GRA members, such is the esteem your dad was held in by so many in the Greeves community. Higgo's words were especially pertinent in my view, as were Jonah's and many others. As Dave put it so perfectly;

"In football terms no player is bigger than the club, but in the case of the GRA, I would disagree. Not only have we lost a great friend to many, but the club has lost a man that, to be honest, cannot be replaced...."

I totally agree, well said Dave, and I'm certain many many others do too.

For now though Ian, please may I offer you something that helped me when I lost my mum back in 1989. It's just a couple of pieces of music that I first heard the day of my mum's funeral. Some friends in 'the business' had come down all the way from London unannounced to support me and place the album these tracks are from in my hands. It had only just been released. It is a deeply personal memory for me, and every time I hear them I think of her, my dad, and my best mate Pete who I lost two years ago. I know exactly what Dicky is going through too.....Somehow, these pieces helped me deal with my grief, and much later, helped me to smile in celebration of their memory. I hope they may do the same for you Ian. I actually used the first track in a section of the DVD I produced of the GRA 25th Anniversary event at Battlesbridge so you may have heard it already....your dad told me he'd just about worn his copy out, and that he liked the music too....that'll do for me.

Here you go Ian, and I hope this music helps when you need it to...…

One day at a time.....be strong when you can and be weak when you need to be.

Thinking of you and the family.

Brian.

Jeff Beck;

'Where Were You'.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD4Gmwo0E_0

'Two Rivers'.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9g7hlPytQ

(PS When I posted this earlier-two attempts-I got one of those 'Unapproved Notices' so copied it and reposted....please delete the original(s) as and when.)

Comment

Brian, thanks so much, and as per my private message it's great to know that you were all such good friends. Thanks also for the music, I'll be sure to have a listen. Your thoughts appreciated.

Comment

Two other pieces of appropriate music are 'Gone but Not Forgotten' by Rick Wakeman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnAtK3NW1k and 'Soul Mortality' played on Lincoln Cathedral organ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtrKdt7saCc
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/02/2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I was immensely saddened to hear of the death of Rob T from Peter Smith at Telford n Saturday. I only met him once, this being at Telford two years ago when i was able to thank him in person for the kindness and patience he had shown to me as a Greeves newbie who was bombarding him with requests for drawings and information about my "new" bike.
            We owe it to his memory to continue that interchange of information between members old and new. If someone asks for help and advice please offer your experiences and thoughts on the problem. There is usually more than one solution to any problem so lets not get into an arguement about which is the right way. Offer your solution with the proviso that "it worked for me" and let the requestor form his or her own opinion about the offered solutions. It is up to all of us to collectively fill the void that has inevitably been left by his passing.
            Last edited by 350biker; 19/02/2020, 08:18 AM.
            Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Originally posted by 350biker View Post
              I was immensely saddened to hear of the death of Rob T from Peter Smith at Telford n Saturday. I only met him once, this being at Telford two years ago when i was able to thank him in person for the kindness and patience he had shown to me as a Greeves newbie who was bombarding him with requests for drawings and information about my "new" bike.
              We owe it to his memory to continue that interchange of information between members old and new. If someone asks for help and advice please offer your experiences and thoughts on the problem. There is usually more than one solution to any problem so lets not get into an arguement about which is the right way. Offer your solution with the proviso that "it worked for me" and let the requestor form his or her own opinion about the offered solutions. It is up to all of us to collectively fill the void that has inevitably been left by his passing.
              Lovely words, thanks very much.

I have been sorting out some paperwork for my dad's bikes, and I found a folder from the early 80s which contained all the notes and research for the Royal Enfield trials bike he built. There's correspondence there from when he wrote to various people asking for help - in one case apologising for being cheeky asking so much! My dad I'm sure always remembered what it was like being new to something, and he was very glad to have the opportunity to encourage and assist, especially those who were taking their first steps restoring a Greeves.

I do really hope that we can continue to be good to each other and do our best to keep as many machines as possible going, and to always welcome new people to our shared interest.

Comment

Working...
              X