Robin (Rob) Thornton MBE 1951-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robin (Rob) Thornton MBE 1951-2020

I have been asked to post this by Dicky Faggetter, as he is struggling with his computer at the moment:

Robin (Rob) Thornton MBE

It is with great sadness that I am having to inform you all that loved and knew my soulmate Rob Thornton, who was taken from us on Wednesday evening so suddenly; our thoughts are with Linda, Melanie, Ian and Paul at this very sad time. He has revitalised the Club during the few years he has been our Chairman and long term member.

Dicky Faggetter

The condolences of all the GRA committee go to the Thornton family and Dicky at this very sad time.

Andy Barnett
    Membership Secretary

I am deeply shocked. My condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed.

Ian

Comment

I can't believe I'm reading this.....I don't really have the words at the moment, so sad to hear this....

Dicky, I'll give you a call unless you call me first bud.

Sincerest condolences to Ian, Linda and the family. My thoughts are with you all.

Brian.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. This has obviously come as a massive shock to us. We don't know exactly why it happened, but it was sudden and he didn't suffer. Unfortunately despite frantic attempts he couldn't be saved.

Unfortunately I got this news a very long way from home and I'm in the midst of a 40 hour journey back, so it's difficult to write much more than this. I am very tired, and worn out, typing this from an airport departure lounge and this is about as much as I can manage, along with a post on the Facebook page because I thought people should know. However I would like to write a proper obituary for the next Leading Link.

Thanks again for being such good friends to dad. His involvement with the GRA and the bikes in general was such a huge part of his life, and I know that he had such an amazing time with you all.

Comment

Very sad news. Rob was the glue that held the club together in recent years.

Sincerest condolences to the family and his wide circle of friends.

Comment

I spoke to Dicky yesterday and he told me of the very sad news about Rob .
            My sincerest condolences to Ian ,Linda and family.
            Rob will be sorely missed by many many people .
            Simon
            Last edited by trialrider17; 14/02/2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Tragic news, Rob was the main stay of the club, always helpful and friendly. My sincerest condolences to Ian ,Linda and family

Comment

Terrible news. Rob and I corresponded frequently by email and he helped me a lot with copies of drawings I requested. A few years ago, on one of our trips back to the UK, Rob graciously invited us to his home and my wife and I spent the evening talking generally about all things Greeves and about my Silverstone in particular.
                A great loss to the Greeves community.
                Our sincerest condolences to his friends and family.
                Stan

Comment

Difficult to put into words my sadness at the news of Rob's passing. He introduced himself the first time I did the Festival of 1000 Bikes at Mallory with my Silverstone some years ago. We met several times over the years as my Greeves race bike collection grew and he kept promising to bring his to Mallory unfortunately not to happen. His knowledge and encouragement will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Rob. Colin

Comment

very sad news, a very helpful man. my sincerest condolences

Comment

Sad, sad news. I only met Rob a couple of times He came and spoke to me last year as I was about to go on a VMCC run on the IOM on my 25DC. Unfortunately I did not have time to talk for long.

My condolences to his family.

Brian.

Comment

Such a shock to learn of Rob's demise, how awful for his wife and family. Our thoughts are for them at this sad time. What a great guy!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments, much appreciated.

Comment

So sorry to hear this news, difficult to comprehend as we shared a bit of banter at the Mike Kemp trial only a few weeks ago. My condolences to Ian and the rest of Robs family.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Morgan View Post
                              So sorry to hear this news, difficult to comprehend as we shared a bit of banter at the Mike Kemp trial only a few weeks ago. My condolences to Ian and the rest of Robs family.

Jeff
                              Thanks Jeff, I appreciate that. I was riding there too that day. Unfortunately dad had to retire, and then my bike broke and I was all ready to give up, but he talked me round and got to work sorting a quick fix, and so I finished the day. I'm so glad the two of us had that last trial together.

Comment

Working...
                              X