Villiers engine numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers engine numbers

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a 9E engine number prefixed with 626B and 251D. Apparently the latter followed the former in about 1961 but I can't find what the differences are anywhere.
    Thanks
    Clive.

I would not think there is any real difference, and I dont know of any books or specifications which would list differences.
    The 626B was supplied to Greeves for 20SAS SCS DC DB & SA the 251D was supplied to Cotton for Vulcan and Greeves 20DC & TE
    There obviously must have been differences to gear ratios as both types were used in road and comp bikes.

Comment

The difference was probably in the gearbox, which from 1961 had an improved positive stop mechanism. I don't know of any changes to the engine.

Comment

Clive. Was this any help to you?

Comment

Thank you, yes Ian. Although my bike is listed in the dispatch record of having a 251D engine it appears to have been fitted with the earlier 626B.(That is what is shown in the original log book and the numerical part of the engine number is the same). 1961 (my bike) as you say seems to be the year when a change was made to the positive stop system. I know mine has the older shift mechanism so my guess is that although my bike was due to be fitted with the later 251D engine, surprise, surprise they still had some of the older 626B engines in stock.
          Unless anyone knows differently of course !

By the way, I have not been able to find any exploded views of the new style positive stop mechanism within the gearbox. All the drawings I have seen is the old system. I assume the drawing in the Villiers Mainenance Manual on page 22 fig 13 using two pawls is the modified one.

Thanks for your help.
          Regards
          Clive

Comment

Does this help, Clive?
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for that John. I have that pic in the Villiers Manual but I wondered if it is available anywhere incorporated in an exploded view of the whole gearbox.

Comment

No problem, Clive. Like you, I have yet to find one! My reply was intended to focus more on the text of the attachment, to reassure you that the drawing of the mechanism using two pawls was from the later version gearbox

Comment

Try this website, you may find it here http://www.villiers.info

Comment

Thanks for that Greeves. I have used the site before but having re-visited it I see that John Wood's Villiers handbook (seems very technical) has a chapter on Villiers engine ID's with 750 entries so maybe that will have all the details. Available on Amazon for £17.50. Might take the plunge.
                    Thanks
                    Clive

Comment

Or maybe direct from John himself jpw.wood@googlemail.com

Comment

Thanks John, I'll try him.

Comment

Working...
                        X