Tech manual / Haynes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech manual / Haynes

Good Evening, I'm about to remove the engine & gearbox from my Silverstone replica....can anyone point me in the direction of any publication that may provide some tech data and instruction.

thanks....Keo

You dont say which model your Silverstone is? but if it is an RAS with Villiers bottom end and gearbox then this publication will be what you need http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum....7a-anchor1226/
    The GRA do service notes on RAS RBS RCS RDS & RES.(see Leading Link) There may be other publications out there but I dont think Haynes ever produced a manual for the Silverstone (or any other Greeves for that matter).

Comment

If I remember rightly you have a Challenger based "Silverstone". I've attached the relevant pages from the RDS service notes, which I believe work for all Silverstones, RBS to RES. In fact I rarely follow this procedure, I usually remove the head and cylinder before loosening the front engine plates and removing the four rear retaining nuts, I can then slide the engine and gearbox forward and lift it out of the frame. If you follow the latter method be sure to rotate the barrel by 90 degs before lifting it off as per the service note, otherwise the rings will spring out into the inlet port and you'll be in a mess. Good luck! Let us know what you find.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

KevinLS has it right. Be very careful and follow that 90 degree turn information.

Even if you think you have it in the right position. DOUBLE CHECK before lifting off the cylinder.

I thought I had the last time I had the cylinder off but it was out slightly and I ruined an irreplaceable dykes type ring set! The air was blue!

Comment

Thanks gents, so....dropping the engine and box out was quite straight forward.....splitting the engine & gearbox is next and that's where I'll need some advice....the gearbox is the kidney shaped 5 speed variant......once apart they'll go off to separate folks for refurbishment.

Comment

I know this will not be good news but the kidney box has a known weakness. Unless your box has unusual custom gears it will be 4 speed. Possibly your description of the shape is out a bit? The 5 speed Albion box has an angled oval/egg shaped casing? Like on my RES Silverstone in the attached picture.

Someone on here will help you out with advice on that I'm sure.
            Last edited by 46T Sprocket; 13/05/2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

It is just a matter of terminology. The so-called "kidney" box is the later MX2 and MX3 Challenger four-speeder. See the lower illustration on page 132 of my book. What you have, Paul, is a cam-barrel five-speed box from an RDS or an RES precisely as shown above. (Remember, I've seen it).
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
              X