Forum software upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum software upgrade

As of mid October 2018 the forum is running on updated software. It is possible that there might be minor glitches or unexpected behaviour, so this thread is a place where you can report any issues you may be having and we will do our best to sort them out.

Nice to see the forum back up and working once again. Clearly, a great deal of effort has gone into the new format.

Comment

Whoops quite a change, Cant seem find photo albums and other features., Have they been lost?
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/10/2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Whoops quite a change, Cant seem find photo albums and other features., Have they been lost?
        Hi John, hope you're well. Those features should still be there somewhere, it might be that I have to make the links visible or something. I will see what I can do.

Where were the photo albums before? You can view them via each user's profile if that's what you mean?

Comment

Yes found in now under Media

Comment

Problem in uploading pics to my albums I get a message 'Exceeded the time limit on editing of topic title'.

Comment

One downside of this new system is that new posts are not highlighted until read, so you have to search through the list to see if you have missed any. Really needs an UNREAD tab

Comment

Very different look, but I guess practice will help us find our way round it. Hope so...

Where has the list of members got to?
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

I really miss the new posts button, also struggling with the search function. That said, well done and many thanks for the work put in to restore the forum. Dogsbody

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
                    I really miss the new posts button, also struggling with the search function. That said, well done and many thanks for the work put in to restore the forum. Dogsbody
                    If you click NEW TOPICS (top LH corner under Greeves logo) that will bring up all the unread posts, they will then disappear from the list after you have read them. If you then want to re visit them click on FORUM and threads appear on RH side under LATEST TOPICS
                    As for SEARCH function, yes this is not good, wont pick up on some wording or numbers, I think its mainly the older threads before up grade, seems OK on post upgrade threads. Strangely a search on GOOGLE seems more effective
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/10/2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I am trying to get used to the upgrade but I cannot find a couple of posts, even using advanced search. One is the racers database for Silverstones/Oultons (I get a page not found error message), the other is the list of shocks/dampers/suspension units for all the Greeves bikes that I thought was set up as a sticky.

Can anybody help an aging Luddite?

Thanks, Stan

Comment

Stan. The Racer Database is part of the general web site not the forum, this is not as yet up and running other than a link to the Membership Form and Forum.
                        Like you I am having problems with the Search facility,

Comment

Hello everybody, thanks for the feedback.

For those who seem disappointed with the overall change, it's just something that we're all going to have to get used to. The previous software was 9 years out of date and in the website world that's a ridiculously long time. There was simply no option but to either upgrade or find completely new software and migrate across to it. Inevitably over the years software manufacturers will alter, add or remove functionality for various reasons. In most cases it will still be there somewhere, perhaps renamed or accessed via a different menu.

The search was not functioning very well so I have set the minimum indexed word length to 2 letters, so terms such as '2T' should be recognised, and I have also re-indexed the whole database. In non tech speak this means that when you search now you will hopefully receive a better - and larger - selection of results. For those who have had unsatisfactory results previously please try resubmitting your search queries and let me know how it goes.

We have a 'New Posts' button in the main menu, top left of the forum. How was it that you found new posts before - was it from threads highlighted in the forum topic listing?

As John says the racers database is part of the main GRA site which I am still working on updating. The old site isn't compatible with the underlying server changes which we needed to make to accommodate the forum upgrade, and also a redesign is long overdue. So far though this month the forum update has already consumed nearly a week of my time, at a time in my life when I have a lot of things going on elsewhere, let alone my work commitments (and just to be clear I don't, and haven't, and won't ever charge for any of the time I put into this - the GRA has contributed to the hosting cost over the years but my effort is entirely voluntary).

So please keep the feedback coming, but be patient if I can't get back to you straight away or take time trying to work out a way of resolving each issue.

Comment

Ian
                            Search engine still not working properly on some frame numbers ie 25DC361B does not show despite being in the East Coaster register within Road bikes
                            Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/10/2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                              Hello everybody, thanks for the feedback.

For those who seem disappointed with the overall change, it's just something that we're all going to have to get used to. The previous software was 9 years out of date and in the website world that's a ridiculously long time. There was simply no option but to either upgrade or find completely new software and migrate across to it. Inevitably over the years software manufacturers will alter, add or remove functionality for various reasons. In most cases it will still be there somewhere, perhaps renamed or accessed via a different menu.

The search was not functioning very well so I have set the minimum indexed word length to 2 letters, so terms such as '2T' should be recognised, and I have also re-indexed the whole database. In non tech speak this means that when you search now you will hopefully receive a better - and larger - selection of results. For those who have had unsatisfactory results previously please try resubmitting your search queries and let me know how it goes.

We have a 'New Posts' button in the main menu, top left of the forum. How was it that you found new posts before - was it from threads highlighted in the forum topic listing?

As John says the racers database is part of the main GRA site which I am still working on updating. The old site isn't compatible with the underlying server changes which we needed to make to accommodate the forum upgrade, and also a redesign is long overdue. So far though this month the forum update has already consumed nearly a week of my time, at a time in my life when I have a lot of things going on elsewhere, let alone my work commitments (and just to be clear I don't, and haven't, and won't ever charge for any of the time I put into this - the GRA has contributed to the hosting cost over the years but my effort is entirely voluntary).

So please keep the feedback coming, but be patient if I can't get back to you straight away or take time trying to work out a way of resolving each issue.
                              Many thanks for your efforts.Old dinosaurs like me have no idea whats involved and we just hate change even when there is no alternative to it.Its very good of you to spend time dragging us winging into the new millennium.

Comment

Working...
                              X