Fuel Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Flow

Did some plug chop runs yesterday and was jetting up without a big difference, and was discussing it with Pip Higham last night. He suggested that I did a flow rate test as I had fitted a filter in the fuel line.although I was a bit sceptical as it seemed to flow OK. The result was surprising. With the filter in line it took 8 mins to flow 2.5 litres, without only 4 min 25secs. Also checked without filter and fuel cap open,- 4min 15 sec.
    Pip told me of the problems they had with the big Suzuki sprint bikes of running without the main jet and still not running rich as insufficient fuel was reaching the carbs!
    Fuel taps and filters appear to be the problem so worth checking if you have carburettion problem.
    Dogsbody

Very Interesting Colin. I know you have a Silverstone and if you look at some of the pictures from the 60s you will see some of the engines with two matchbox float chambers feeding the GP carb. It was recognised pretty early on that a 2 stroke running a big bore carb at full chat shifted a lot of fuel and that one float didn't do the job at times. Fitting two float chambers was one way of making sure there was always enough fuel to feed the motor.

You can see such a setup in a picture on page 99 in Rob Carrick's and Mick Walker's book on Greeves of Gordon Keiths 1964 Manx GP winning Silverstone

Regards,
    David.

Comment

Working...
    X