20DC Best in Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20DC Best in Class

It was nice to receive an email today from the gent I sold my 20DC to off our stand at the Shepton Mallet show in February.

He informs me that yesterday it won the Best in Class at the Exeter British Bike Summer Run! Such a pretty little bike; running well, cheap, too; a happy new owner, using it as it deserves.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220625_135312.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	99162 A good choice of inexpensive lightweight classic if you come across one.

I prefer the singles to twins, less fuss, less smoke and easy starting, at my age I am not wanting lots of horsepower, Click image for larger version

Name:	Just after Resoration 035.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	99164 just slogging power.

Comment

That's a late one, John! Also, it is surprising how much lighter the singles are than the twins. The 2T & 3T motors are heavy old lumps. Easy to upgrade a 9E to a 250, by swapping the top-end for a 31A version. It will then comfortably pull a higher gear. I'll probably end up buying another one!

Comment

Or better still fit a 34A scrambles barrel and head gives a bit more power especially with the larger Amal carb

Comment

Wouldn't work, John, without changing the crank to a 5 1/2" rod version too.

I have a spare 34a scrambles engine on the shelf....

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
            Wouldn't work, John, without changing the crank to a 5 1/2" rod version too.

I have a spare 34a scrambles engine on the shelf....
            Not sure but I think the 33A (1958/9 scrambles) barrel had shorter rod but these are probably difficult to find

Comment

Better still, fit a Vale Onslow barrel!

Comment

Hmmm, I have one of those as well

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post

Not sure but I think the 33A (1958/9 scrambles) barrel had shorter rod but these are probably difficult to find
                  You can machine 1/4" off the bottom of a 32A or 34A barrel, instead of changing the crank, which gets expensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X