This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates for the calendar - please post them here

The GRA website has an events calendar: https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/calendar/

We'd like to keep it up to date with as many events - that GRA members are likely to be interested in - as possible.

Please feel free to post any suggestions here, or send me a private message, or use the contact form on the website.

Thanks!

The 39th Carole Nash Bristol Classic MotorCycle Show

• Date: Sat, Feb 02, 2019 - Sun, Feb 03, 2019
    • Venue: The Royal Bath & West
    • Location: The Royal Bath & West, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6QN
    Greeves stand - Les Yarde

Comment

Thanks Tony, got your message via the website. I've added the show to the calendar. In the very near future we will be marking on the calendar those events that include a GRA stand/presence.

Comment

Somerton club 2 day trial at Priddy on the 8th & 9th of June 2019 is now limited to 100 riders so you need to get your entry in soon .
        The entry form is now available on there web site .
        Thank you Ian for your work on the website you can have a longer ride on my Greeves
        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by trialrider17 View Post
          Somerton club 2 day trial at Priddy on the 8th & 9th of June 2019 is now limited to 100 riders so you need to get your entry in soon .
          The entry form is now available on there web site .
          Thank you Ian for your work on the website you can have a longer ride on my Greeves
          Simon
          Thanks Simon! Might be difficult to give it back next time!!

Comment

The Annual Greeves Gathering at Kidlington is conspicuous by its absence!

Also the link to 'Calendar' at the top of this forum page doesn't seem to reflect the dates in the other calendar...
            Last edited by AndyB; 22/12/2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Stafford show 27 &28 April. Members bikes required. So far no response. Does this indicate that members are no longer interested in showing bikes and supporting the club stand?

Comment

Copy of a letter that should appear in next LL

Dear Editor
                In his piece (LL 204 December) Mike Norris mentions his disappointment at the lack of club members offering their bikes for display at the Mortons (not Moretons incidentally) Stafford show. I think one of the answers is in Mikes piece, ie these shows require bikes to be on site on the Friday afternoon, thus for those still at work, need to take a days holiday and also an overnight stay in a hotel thus making it a two day event and adding additional expense. Further more due to Greeves being predominately off road bikes they need to be transported in a van of trailer. Not everyone has access to these, I sold my bike trailer some years ago after buying a new car to which a towbar was not able to be fitted.

Even road bikes are rarely ridden to events these days, whilst many owners are happy to 'bimble around local roads, they, myself included, are not prepared to ride them long distances to shows. For me it would be a 240 mile round trip from Cambridge to Stafford. None of us are getting any younger (I will be 76 by the time you read this) and there seems to be very few young members joining the GRA these days.

One wonders if the club may do better to participate more at less commercially orientated events like Battlesbridge & Popham where one can just turn up on the day, and in the case of Battlesbridge get free entry on a classic bike irespectively whether you are booked in or not. So there is always the possibility of something special turning up. Battlesbridge always attracts a large number of Greeves many of which can be seen in action on the demo scrambles track. I personally, (although I have been known to attend Battlesbridge), am not really into major bike shows, preferring to just ride my bike, but if I do attend a show its usually one of the steam or vintage vehicle rallies where one gets a cross section of vehicles, cars, lorries buses and steam engines.

Having said that, I along with former GRA member Dave Pink have for 18 years orgainsed the Cambridge Classic Bike Show under the club banner, never a large attendance but an afternoon in convivial company with most bikes ridden in. No hassle to organise, just set a date with the Cambridge Museum of Technology (or last your the Cambridge Sea Cadets), run a few posters off to put in local bike shops, turn up an hour or so before start time and enjoy. No form filling, pre booking or other officious paperwork required. Maybe a few more such events run by members is their locality.

Finally It would be nice to see more bikes actually being ridden, many these days (like most other makes) are being restored as collectors pieces by elderly owners and just kept in sheds and garages. Just some food for thought.

John Wakefield

Comment

Some good points there John, these major shows are great, but how much does it cost the avaerage person to take a bike there and display? OK the local owners will attend, but those from a distance are getting put off by travelling costs as well as hotel bills. Sadly the Battlesbridge Show clashes with a major event in the Classic MX world including a round of the Greeves Championship. I would not expect too many of the competitive bikes to attend, but certain people will have to choose which to attend. As John suggests, maybe we rest the major shows that need travel, and save our attendance for the more minor events.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                    Sadly the Battlesbridge Show clashes with a major event in the Classic MX world including a round of the Greeves Championship. I would not expect too many of the competitive bikes to attend, but certain people will have to choose which to attend.
                    Strangely enough there is always a good turn out of scramble bikes at Battlesbridge mainly because of pre 65 club demo races there.

Comment

AMENDMENT: Pre 65 MX have moved their 23rd June meeting to 16th June.

Comment

I don't see the AGM on the calendar, or Battlesbridge.......

Comment

THe AGM and Greeves Autojumble get together is on Sunday7th April from 930am and we have two speakers, namely Don Morley who is one of the Top Journalist for the Motorcycle Papers of yesterday and of today as well, in Company with him we will have ex works Greeves Rider Tony Davis who you should all know ! with his late brother Malcolm the other Greeves works rider and top scrambler as well , will be entwined with Don on the past reminisces about GREEVES.

Also Battlesbridge will be on 6th/7th of July , these dates will be in your new Leading Link that will be with you very soon cheers Dicky Faggetter

Comment

Thanks Dicky. I did know the date of the AGM, but not Battlesbridge. It was really to point out that they are not on the calendar. Unfortunately they both clash with Goodwood events, the Members Meeting in April, and the FoS in July, and I have tickets to both!

Comment

Poor old Ian is trying to live his life, earn a living and still look after our website and Forum for nothing! We have got new software (as the old was very time-expired and we also have a new hosting company. This is because Ian had space on his server which we used (yes, you've guessed it!) for free for 15 years and he has now closed it as he no longer needs it. Getting back to the calendar, the calendar page will be simply a 'collector' for people to add things and they will then be transferred to the calendar proper and removed from here. This process is necessary because of complexity in adding items to the calendar proper. Yet again, this all takes time to work out and implement. Once all these tweaks are done, we will have an excellent and technically up to date website and Forum. Thanks again, Ian T!

The clashes with Goodwood are unfortunate but most of us are too poor to attend their rather up-market events!

Getting back to shows, it is not all doom and gloom! We are gtting entries from different members now which is what we have been trying to encourage. From the outside, it is easy to see the show scene as a closed shop and that is certainly not the case with the GRA! At Stafford, I have seen some other clubs cover their bikes at night with dust sheets and even touching up paint with tiny brushes, not to mention polishing! Some of the stand builds are quite mind-blowing too. This is because the people concerned are show enthusiasts through and through whereas we are not. We attend shows to keep the Greeves name alive, attract new members, meet up and chat with existing members, supply regalia items and answer queries to anyone who asks them.
                              We certainly could do with more members helping out on the stands, even informally. John mentions having attended Battlesbridge despite not being a show enthusiast. So be it but he stood on the stand dispensing help to all those who approached and as Ian said, he was 'a credit to the Club'! So, even if you are just visiting a show, you will be more than welcome to assist!

Comment

Working...
                              X