New Scrambles Book to be published.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scrambles Book to be published.

I've just received an email newsletter from Panther Publishing (www.panther-publishing.com) about a forthcoming new book that will probably be of interest to Greeves enthusiasts;

Out Front: British Motocross and Scrambles Champions 1960-1974

The heros of Motocross and Scrambles from the golden era - Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith, Alan Clough... and all the others with many wondeful photos frequently never before published. Currently in preparation and expected to be published early next year. Further information will follow.

Sounds interesting!

(I wonder if it's by Andy Westlake.....?)

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 13/09/2010, 03:43 PM.

New Scrambles Book to be published.

Sounds good to me! I hope to see more of the Allan, Wade, Browning and Clayton days!

Kenny Sykes
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 22/06/2010, 07:37 PM. Reason: Quote removed to tidy up thread.

Comment

What a shame its not going a few years further to include Noyce, Hudson and Thorpe.

Comment

The New Scrambles book

Originally posted by mickmetcalfe View Post
        What a shame its not going a few years further to include Noyce, Hudson and Thorpe.
        I have The Paul Stephens book Moto Cross The Golden ERA published by OSPREY This new book sounds very much the same ??
        Dick Dastadly

Comment

All Hail The Mighty Destroyer!!!

Hiya Dicky mate!!!

Have you thrown the spanners at it and sorted that flippin' computer out now?!!! Good for you mate, and hope to see you on here a bit more often from now on! Some proper 'Dastardly Banter' (TM!) is exactly what we need on here....!!!!

Yeah, I've been after that book ('Motocross-The Golden Era') for ages, so it was great to grab a look through Rob's copy at the AGM this year, where he'd brought it along to crib some questions for his excellent interview of the great Arthur Browning. AB is such a complete legend (and a great character) and Rob did a great job didn't he mate. Yeah, I really enjoyed that!

You'll have to report back and let us know how things go at the launch of RD's new Greeves trials bike at Sammy Millers tommorrow night. Hope you and Rob have a good time, and be interesting to hear any news. If RD let's you have a go on the pre production bike, just DON'T BREAK IT, OK???!!!!

The Bolshy Twanger! (F#Minor7b5b9!)

Comment

New Scrambles Book-Update.

I've just received an update from Panther Publishing (http://www.panther-publishing.co.uk/) with more detail on the forthcoming book. See below;

OutFRONT!

British Motocross Champions 1960-1974

Ian Berry

Dave Bickers, Jeff Smith, Arthur Lampkin, Freddie Mayes, Alan Clough, John Banks, Malcolm Davis, Bryan Wade, Bryan Goss, Andy Roberton and Vic Allan - says it all really! The book gives an interesting introduction to motocross in Britain in the 1960s and early '70s and a very detailed portrait of each rider complete with details of their racing career. The book is really brought to life with over 200 stunning photos many never before published. Fingers crossed, the book should be ready in December this year (just in time for that Xmas wish list maybe!) although the official publication date will not be until 2011 with a major launch at the Off-Road and Racing Show in February 2011. More details will follow on the website shortly.

Yep....definitely sounds interesting!

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 13/09/2010, 03:41 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

Picked up a flyer for this book at Mark's Tey....................

Forward by Jeff Smith.

Overview of the British Championships 1951 - 1974.

Write-ups on the various champions.

Like Dick, I also have a copy of 'The Golden Era'

Forward by Jeff Smith.

Lists each year 1951 - 1970

Has info on most of the riders quoted on the flyer (maybe because it is the same period / history. Strange that..............!!!!!)

As Dick says earlier, how much extra info will be gained from the new book?

As someone very interested in the period, most of which I missed, I would normally snap up a copy but I think I will have a look at someone elses copy before parting with £23!

Comment

New Scrable Book.

Thanks for the update mate, nice one.

The last time Dicky and I spoke of this he mentioned something along similar lines regarding 'repetition' too...!

Still, as I don't have a copy of the 'Golden Era' book (and I've been looking for ages to find one at the right dosh, not easy!), this new publication might just fill the gap nicely. I'll have a good look through it before taking the plunge though, for sure!

Cheers for the 'heads up'!

Brian.

Comment

Moto Cross Books

Just to fill a little detail on the Paul Stephens book. Prior to publishing Paul was in regular contact with the GRA Committee desperately pushing his book and offering all kind of deals. I fairness it is a good record of what went on. Sadly, within 6 months it was remaindered and apperaed in our local discount book seller.

For those fans of scrambling try "The Art of Moto-Cross" by Jeff Smith and Bob Currie. It is pretty ancient dating to 1966, originally priced at 25 shillings. Or, Frank Melling's "Complete Book of Motocross" originally published by Haynes.

Both these are collectors items. However, they still crop up. No doubt they are listed eother on amazon or ebay

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                    .Frank Melling's "Complete Book of Motocross" originally published by Haynes.
                    Not seen that one. I wonder how Frank got over his rooted dislike of everything Greeves..?
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

New Book

Colin

I don't think he ever got over testing a ditchfinder, sorry, Pathfinder....

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
                        Colin

I don't think he ever got over testing a ditchfinder, sorry, Pathfinder....

Phil
                        Ah, bless!
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

He was OK in 1979 though! In his "Motocross, The Big Leap", there is quite a bit Greeves including a 360 motor! On page 37 is a wonderfully atmospheric picture (that old art-lover Brian would approve!). It shows Bill Brooker, Derry (looks like they've dragged him out on a sledge) and Bert (looking like the man from the ministry!) all peering at Dave Bickers seated on an early Challenger. But what was the occasion? The trees are bare so a winter shot, maybe testing out a prototype? I wonder if we have a captioned version in the archive?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                            .....(that old art-lover Brian would approve!)
                            Funny you should say that Rob.....I'm sure you'll be delighted to hear I've been at the crayons again (the blue ones taste best!), and I'll be posting the result shortly!

Rolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                              He was OK in 1979 though! In his "Motocross, The Big Leap", there is quite a bit Greeves including a 360 motor! On page 37 is a wonderfully atmospheric picture (that old art-lover Brian would approve!). It shows Bill Brooker, Derry (looks like they've dragged him out on a sledge) and Bert (looking like the man from the ministry!) all peering at Dave Bickers seated on an early Challenger. But what was the occasion? The trees are bare so a winter shot, maybe testing out a prototype? I wonder if we have a captioned version in the archive?
                              I haven't got the book, but if you post up the picture I'll have a look.
                              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                              X