The Villiers Factory - a visual story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Villiers Factory - a visual story

Massive scale British Engineering at its finest.. enjoy!

KR
    john9700

Thanks for that John. It reminded me of my days at CAV Lucas and how things have changed between then and now. A lot of vertical integration wasn't there?

Comment

Great bit of footage there John, I wonder how many would be employed today ?

Comment

Pity about the monotonous music, would have been better with a commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
          Great bit of footage there John, I wonder how many would be employed today ?
          In 1956 The company was on a 17 acre site and employed 3,500 persons

Comment

Very interesting, similar to the Rolls-Royce aero engine plant I worked in up until 2007

Comment

My pal Dave, an ex-Bultaco racer, worked for RR at Leavesden, now the Harry Potter studios! He was an inspector and cost the RAF a fortune by scrapping almost all the Helicopter engines that came back after a certain engagement in desert areas! BUT...Back to Villiers, I have in my possession a lovely book entitled "The book of the Villiers engine", published by Pitmans in 1940. It is not in super condition as some pages are loose and some were used by his daughters as colouring pages! However the majority of the pages are present, in fair condition and readable. Obviously, this is a historic document and predates anything used in Greeves bikes, but if any member wishes to acquire this, I'm open to "Charitable Donations".

Comment

Working...
              X