Dating Lettter for a 1960 24TCS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dating Lettter for a 1960 24TCS

Hello, I'm looking to get hold of a dating letter and establish the history of a 1960 24TCS frame number. I've just purchased a Top Tube and Beam frame component to replace a damaged unit from a 1960 TCS project that has stalled. It's been a few years since I've been through this process and I contacted Peter Smith at that time who provided me with paperwork and details. Any chance of a steer in the right direction?

Regards,

Tony Gee

Peter Smith still your man for a dating cert, if you give me frame number I will see if I have any other recent history on the survivors list

Comment

Originally posted by Tony T140 View Post
      Hello, I'm looking to get hold of a dating letter and establish the history of a 1960 24TCS frame number. I've just purchased a Top Tube and Beam frame component to replace a damaged unit from a 1960 TCS project that has stalled. It's been a few years since I've been through this process and I contacted Peter Smith at that time who provided me with paperwork and details. Any chance of a steer in the right direction?

Regards,

Tony Gee
      Hi Tony, I am the GRA Authentication Officer and hold the factory dispatch records. I can provide the club Authentication Certificate you will need if you ever want to register the bike - but only as a complete bike and subject to inspection of course. A letter from Peter will not be accepted by the DVLA these days.

However I will also respond in confidence to frame number enquiries, provided the enquirer also sends me a photo of the frame number. That's just to confirm that they do actually own the bike or frame in question

I'll do so if you email me with a pic of the number on colinsparrow@btinternet.com.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

If it helps, i have the V5 of my 1960 24TCS is 6th July 1960. Beam No 60/1756

whitehillbilly

Comment

That is interesting Whitebilly. Mine is around 1500 numbers newer than yours, but was registered on 11th May 1960. Of course, if yours had to get to Australia first, that would have taken a little while!

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies. The frame number of the Top Tube and Beam component that I have now purchased is 60/1441. Thankfully it's straight and I should now be able to carry on with the planned rebuild. Any help with this bike's history would be gratefully received. Peter Smith got back to me a couple of days ago telling me that his computer is down at the moment.

Cheers,

Tony

Comment

Tony all I have on 60/1441 was that it was recently on eBay in August with a Brian Bell of Dollingstown Northern Ireland as just a beam, I assume you bought it from him. Sorry nothing previous to that. Can you let me have the number of the damaged beam so it can be listed as such (presumably scrap).

Comment

Apologies for the late reply John. The frame number is 60/1563 and the complete frame, less forks, was purchased from Moll Springs (company name) at Honley, Holmfirth. The bike was supplied to Messrs Slocombe of Neasden. The damage is a slight bend to the top tube but, more seriously, a bend in the aluminium casting. These were only noticeable when mandrels were place in the steering head and beam/engine plate holes to check alignment.

It is certainly not scrap. It's just that, to date, I have been unable to find a shop that can fix it.

Regards,

Tony

Comment

Thanks Tony, I assume bike will take id as 60/1441
                  Incidentally the Moll Springs bike shop http://www.mollspringsmotorcycles.co.uk/ is owned by the guy who built a Triumph Trident engined Greeves which he subsequently crashed and severely injured himself. More about the Trident Greeves here https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...rident-greeves & here https://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/fo...eeves-finished
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/09/2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Yes, that's what I intend to do now.

Thanks,

Tony

Comment

Working...
                    X