Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine number ?

Hi Folks,
    Thinking of purchasing a 1964 24TES scottish trials, question mark on engine number: 076D15##. Any quick reply would be much appreciated.
    P.S. Any one out there with a nice scottish or similar for sale?

Mr Anzani man. A 1964 TES with 32A engine should have a number commencing 453D.... The earlier TE/S, late 1961-62, would commence 863B.

Factory dispatch records would show the correct engine number for that frame.

I cannot trace a number commencing 076D, the nearest I can find is 070D, a 33A engine which would have been installed in a 24SCS circa 1961, as well as a Cotton scrambler of the period. This is not much help unless your '6' is in fact a '0'.

Check the thickness of the bottom barrel flange. A 31A & 33A would have a thin flange, and a crank with a 5 1/4" con-rod. Yours needs to be a thick flange with 5 1/2" rod.

Best I can do I'm afraid. Let us know how you get on.

Ian

Comment

Engine Prefix 76D
      A 9E made between 1955 & 1967 supplied to Aero Controls, Northampton (a go kart manufacturer) with S25/1 carb

So not the original engine No.

Anzani man can you give frame no?

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
        Mr Anzani man. A 1964 TES with 32A engine should have a number commencing 453D.... The earlier TE/S, late 1961-62, would commence 863B.

Factory dispatch records would show the correct engine number for that frame.

I cannot trace a number commencing 076D, the nearest I can find is 070D, a 33A engine which would have been installed in a 24SCS circa 1961, as well as a Cotton scrambler of the period. This is not much help unless your '6' is in fact a '0'.

Check the thickness of the bottom barrel flange. A 31A & 33A would have a thin flange, and a crank with a 5 1/4" con-rod. Yours needs to be a thick flange with 5 1/2" rod.

Best I can do I'm afraid. Let us know how you get on.

Ian
        Thanks for quick reply, didn't buy this bike in the end. Bought instead a TFS Greeves factory bike? Likely known to the club dating certificate to follow.
        Tank stickers say Comerford over the top, Greeves in the middle and England on the bottom, does this point to it being a Comerfords bike?
        Dating certificate said to state that it is a Greeves works bike, never registered. Frame number: 24TFS339. Any idea how many of these were made? Came with telescopics and leading link folks.
        Many thanks.

Comment

24TFS339 does not appear in the dispatch records.

It does, however, appear in the list of works bikes, being allocated to Bill Brooker in March 1965, and subsequently to Don Smith.

It was registered, probably by the factory, with a very nice Essex registration number. Unlikely to have been originally a Comerfords bike.

We won't be able to help you with the evidence needed to recover the number from our archive records as the original works bike list has been lost.

However all is not lost as most of the Essex registration records still exist in the county archive and they will hopefully be able to provide the necessary evidence.

If you email me on colinsparrow@btinternet.com with a photo of the frame number I'll tell you what it was.

You will need my help if you decided to try and recover the number.

As to numbers, there are 193 TFS models on the UK dispatch records and an unknown, but probably substantial, number were exported - including the trail version, of course.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
          X