This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Register

The Landrover fraternity would have you believe that over 60% of all landrovers built are still in existence.
    As a new person to the marque and a new member I pose the following questions -
    Do we know how many Greeves were built and of which model
    Can the Greeves documents help us to determine this
    Do we know how many Greeves are still out there either on the road or awaiting restoration
    Do we have a database of all machines known to the club
    Would it be useful to try and produce an index if none exists.
    I make the following suggestion by way of volunteeering
    If we have no database I am prepared to try and produce and keep one up to date. To this end I would need a copy of the Greeves documents as a start. I would ask all members to provide details of all their machines either whole or in bits for the database. I would also use the likes of the OBM to get the message out to the classic world for details of bikes held by non members of the GRA and would like to hear of any other suggestions if this is a doable.
    The database would be held my me in excel format and circulated to the committee.
    Does this suggestion find favour?

Ron, it's a good idea and John Wakefield has such a register for the East Coaster road bikes, but don't underestimate the amount of work involved considering that a vast number of bikes were exported.

Comment

I'm doing a database on Anglian & Wessex trials , bit slow because of ill health .

I have a few on there and am just about ready to ask GRA members & those that are not to let me know their frame numbers .

There are no existing export dispatch records ,( I couldn't find them when the factory closed ) , since found out they were in a different filing cabinet .

The only way to check for exported bikes is by going through home market records , any missing numbers on these are export bikes .

I have found a number of export Anglins by watchin e-bay .

Chris

Comment

Greeves Register

Just as a follow-up I should mention that I am a recognised local historian and have had 3 books on local history published which were commissioned publishing not vanity publishing. One of these books catalogued the fleet of steam trawlers in North Shields from 1870 to 1960 which included there specific details and their history including their fate - over 35% were lost at sea ! This was quite a task.
        I recognise that this is a big task and will not be completed in a few days - however it will build upon itself and hopefully develop into a historical document.
        The go ahead if it is considered a doable will need a committee decision and I would envisage that we could put a short info slip into the magazine and perhaps also put one on the website for the interested non GRA members.
        I am hoping that the Greeves document as shown on the GRA website would be a good start.
        If anyone would like to discuss this I am happy to publish my telephone number on the forum

Comment

If you are up for it i think its a realy good idea ,you can have my serial nos any time

Comment

Wow! that seems a mammoth task, but fair wind to your sails fella, if you're up for it my numbers are ready and waiting.

Colin

Comment

It would of course be great to have a register of surviving Greeves, and the GRA Committee has discussed the idea in the past.

The biggest difficulty (apart from the logistical challenge of course) would be the reluctance of owners to part with details of machines owned. Theft of classic motorcycles is a concern.

Good luck with the idea though. Could I suggest you drop Club Secretary Mike Eady a line with a worked-up plan so that he can put it on the agenda for the Committee?
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Greeves List

Could the list be anonymous so that the record would just show the bike exists and the condition bit like John's list or East Coasters.

Comment

I think the list could be either/or, that is anonymous if the owner requires it, or an optional system i.e. "last owner, (John Smith), (SE England)" for those who have no problem with admitting! ownership, but may wish to leave out some of the details.

Comment

Hi ron, i think colin is right in that you might come up against some resistance, when it comes to members giving information on frame numbers, addresses & names of ownership.
                    Just a few other points though, how would you catagorise bikes such as my own, which is built from parts from four broken bikes, & how could you account for the many bikes world wide, that are laid up in barns etc.
                    Its a mammoth task & i admire your dedication, putting a register together of original existing bikes is a possibility, but trying to find how many are left in total is going to be a pipe dream.
                    You may have to rely on the l/rover calculation for that one.. dave.

Comment

See my post in Trials Machines .

Chris

Comment

Greeves register

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                        Hi ron, i think colin is right in that you might come up against some resistance, when it comes to members giving information on frame numbers, addresses & names of ownership.
                        Just a few other points though, how would you catagorise bikes such as my own, which is built from parts from four broken bikes, & how could you account for the many bikes world wide, that are laid up in barns etc.
                        Its a mammoth task & i admire your dedication, putting a register together of original existing bikes is a possibility, but trying to find how many are left in total is going to be a pipe dream.
                        You may have to rely on the l/rover calculation for that one.. dave.
                        In OBM this month Mike Estall is starting a register of Triumph Tiger Cubs & Terriers might be worth a read for some ideas he seems to have covered most of the points & concerns mentioned here.
                        With regards to my own East Coaster register I initially published names of owners in LL but one or two owners objected to their names being published so I removed these & published it as it is now on the forum. Just frame No, Registration number, & condition. I do where possible try to keep my master copy up to date on owner changes but only give out names & tel number with consent of owners. I am finding it more difficult now to get up to date confirmation of owner changes. Its ok to use the 25DC mk2 & East Coaster info I have published on the web site for the proposed all model register

Comment

I think the only defining feature about a bike would be the frame number everything else could be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                            I think the only defining feature about a bike would be the frame number everything else could be changed.
                            I have been trying to find survivors of some models.They are 25SA 6 found 1956 20T 7 found , 1956 20D 3 found , 20R4 1 found ,20R3 2 found. If anybody can add to this then please PM me with frame number only.Thanks

Comment

Greeves Register

I make reference to Colins remarks regarding a plan to put forward as an agenda item and the post regarding the entry in the OBM. I too read this in the OBM yesterday and the compiler Mike has managed to find details of over 9500 Tiger Cub and Terrier machines for his register. I have sent him an email message to determine how he has gone about it and in what form the register is kept as it would appear that these owners have had no problem in sharing their information. I will keep you all posted

Comment

Working...
                              X