Speedo Binnacle and Clock Greeves 24 TES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo Binnacle and Clock Greeves 24 TES

Hi, As per the subject. I'm looking for a speedo binnacle and clock for a 24 TES.
    Thanks
    Steve

The TES didn't have a binnacle. They started with the TFS, with the small 60mm magnetic speedo for the uk market. a 3" chronometric for the US market, thus different binnacles.

The TES had a 'D' shaped 80-mph chronometric, mounted on a thin steel bracket bolted to the top yolk.

Having said that, it doesn't have to be standard, which in fact it is not anyway. It would cost quite a bit to bring it back to original, so best use it as it is imo.

The binnacles come up from time to time, the smaller version being harder to find, and possibly more expensive, than the larger one, of which repros have been made. Also, check to see whether it is cast for 7/8" or 1" 'bars before you buy one.

Moving on to the instruments, the cheapest are the 60mm round magnetic which fits the small binnacle. For a genuine 3" chronometric budget £300, while the 'D' shape £150-£200, but no binnacle to buy. 3" Indian-made instruments can be picked up cheap as chips, but you must ensure it is correctly calibrated for the 2:1 rear wheel cable drive.

You are venturing down a potentially expensive path, passing through the odd minefield!

Ian C

Comment

Ian the 3 inch speedo as fitted to te Ranger was a magnetic one, not chronometric & whilst not maybe in the £300 bracket will still be expensive.
      Attached Files

Comment

Fair enough, John, though I wasn't talking about the Ranger. I believe that came out in 1967, well after chronometrics were no longer made, except for to special order.

I was referring to the TFS, the first model to use the binnacle. Having said that, it came out on the cusp of the transition from chronos to magnetics, so that may have had a magnetic too. I stand corrected.

Ian C

Comment

Yes TFS would have had the magnetic speedo
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/05/2022, 08:22 PM.

Comment

SSM 5002/00A for the USA model

Comment

Working...
            X