Forks wanted for 20DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forks wanted for 20DC

Can anyone help Keith Roworth with a set of forks for this accident damaged 20DC he has acquired?

Hello everyone this my first post having just purchased a 1965 Greeves 20DC 197cc.. As you can see it has suffered heavy frontal damage and the leading link forks are beyond repair as is the front full width hub front wheel , I have the single side hub ( not paddle.). The forks are badly bent below the top shrouds and the ally hub is smashed beyond repair and the rim has got a massive flat on it.!!! Has anyone got a pair of leading link forks possibly having fitted Metal Profile Forks and another wheel ? I'm in York. Email Rugga41@hotmail.co.uk 01904 690940 mob 07958 227299

Note: It was not Ken who had the accident, he bought it from the guy who did. An 80 year old who was returning from the Beamish Trial and was hit by a van. Sadly he has life changing injuries, is paralysed and needs full time care. Ride safe.
    Attached Files

Poor bloke, what a terrible thing to happen. I hope the van driver was insured...

PS I don't have any roadster forks kicking about.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I understand there was an insurance settlement, but it cant compensate enough for the injuries suffered.

Comment

Would the front end be similar to a 24scs set as I do have a set but don't know if they would be suitable

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Robinson View Post
          Would the front end be similar to a 24scs set as I do have a set but don't know if they would be suitable
          No, the roadster forks have a different loop to the Scramble and Trials bikes, so needs to be roadster forks. Also the roadster forks have welded on brackets to secure head lamp.

Comment

The scrambles fork have a different trail to the roadsters too, so it would mess up the handling.

Providing it is only the front hub which has cracked, the front wheel could be rebuilt using the rest of the parts, if a bare hub can be obtained. They come up from time to time. Easier to find than a complete good wheel I should think.

Or fit a disc brake!

Ian C.

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
              The scrambles fork have a different trail to the roadsters too, so it would mess up the handling.

Providing it is only the front hub which has cracked, the front wheel could be rebuilt using the rest of the parts, if a bare hub can be obtained. They come up from time to time. Easier to find than a complete good wheel I should think.

Or fit a disc brake!

Ian C.
              Ian if you read the owners message you will read he has the original tin hub, so just needs to get that rebuilt into a new rim. The 20DC was always fitted with the tin hub which is perfectly adequate for the sedate performance of the bike.
              Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/05/2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

John. I did read the post, and he did not say he wants to build a wheel onto the original tin hub. If you read the owners message, he has asked if anyone has a another wheel.

I would dispute your assertion that the standard tin hub is adequate in todays traffic; you only have to look at the photos. Clearly it is a front-ender, which appears to suggest he did not stop in time.

Draw your own conclusions!

ian C.

Comment

The tin hub is same dia 6 inches and linings only 1/8" narrower, so in effect only slightly smaller braking area as the alloy hub, in fact many owners fit the 1 inch wide (tin hub) linings into the alloy hub as they are more readily available, The 20DC only has a top speed of 55 mph so tin hub brake will be adequate. I find the alloy brake on my heavier faster 25DC well up to the mark and if anything a bit too efficient in some conditions. I have spoken to the owner and he is happy to fit the original tin hub, but would accept a complete wheel with alloy hub if available, I explained that the alloy hub being much sort after would probably cost more & be less available than a tin hubbed wheel. Horses for courses!

Comment

The problem with the tin hub is that it can distort and/or overheat under hard braking, which is how the paddle hub came about. The alloy f/w hub should be more efficient and robust for that reason, along with the wider linings. I have a tin hub on my 20DC, and it needs a good bit of assistance from the back brake, along with anticipation, and written notice to stop!

I may have a spare fw bare hub, to which the other components could be swapped over, and a wheel built up. Tricky to know what it is worth though, which would be the cost to me to replace it if I need to.

Ian C.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      The tin hub is same dia 6 inches and linings only 1/8" narrower, so in effect only slightly smaller braking area as the alloy hub, in fact many owners fit the 1 inch wide (tin hub) linings into the alloy hub as they are more readily available, The 20DC only has a top speed of 55 mph so tin hub brake will be adequate. I find the alloy brake on my heavier faster 25DC well up to the mark and if anything a bit too efficient in some conditions. I have spoken to the owner and he is happy to fit the original tin hub, but would accept a complete wheel with alloy hub if available, I explained that the alloy hub being much sort after would probably cost more & be less available than a tin hubbed wheel. Horses for courses!
                      John

I offered a BHC FW alloy hub and rim for his damaged machine but he he did not respond, so I will advertise in/on GRA.

Comment

Ah well; you can lead a horse to water etc.....

Ian C.

Comment

Working...
                        X