Steering head long stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering head long stud

I need a 5/16" BSF long stud for the forks on my project bike. The one that came with it has stretched threads through over tightening I assume. Either an original item or a length of en8 or similar I can thread myself.

How long is it and whereabouts are you? Peter

Comment

5/16 looks to be a non standard size these day so you will have to use 8mm (only .0024" bigger) available on eBay in short lengths https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bright-Mi...Cclp%3A2334524
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/08/2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

There is a supplier who goes around all the shows; although not this year of course; who does lengths of stainless Imperial rod in all the usual sizes including 5/16", so it is clearly available. No need to use 8mm. Depending what forks you have, you would have to change the thread in the crown plate, and enlarge the hole in the bottom yoke to allow the rod through. Are they banana forks? Rubber ones use 3/8" BSF.

You will have to be creative in tracking him down. You could try Carole Nash, who organise a lot of the shows, for a list of recent exhibitors, or maybe someone here has a list? They hand them out freely enough. I bought 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 7/16" and 5/8" from him at Shepton Mallet recently.

Ian C.

Comment

8mm is 0.3149" and 5/16" 0.3125" so only 0.0024" larger dia
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 20/08/2020, 04:40 PM. Reason: size corrected

Comment

I know it is a long time since you went to school John, but .3149 (my digital doofer tells me it is .3150!) minus .3125 = ..0024"! If it can be cut with a 5/16" thread then all well and good, but if it can't, and it is threading into a captive 5/16" nut, it is no good. I can't understand why people want to make do with the wrong parts rather than use the correct ones. Kaffman asked for 5/16" rod. It is available.

Ian C

Comment

.0024" is still only the thickness of a fag paper and can take a 5/16 BSF die easily

Comment

Look on Ebay for the seller "Custom-Studs" he makes and supplies custom HT Studs in BSF to any size you require, he made both my Steering Stud and the Swing Arm Stud

Comment

I might be talking out of my rear end here, but my notes tell me that the stud thread is 5/16 BSF at one end but 5/16 x 26 TPI at the other. I may be wrong, but it's worth checking. It seems that EN8 5/16 round bar is available here: https://www.steelexpress.co.uk/shop/...m40-round-bar/

Comment

5/16 x 26 tpi is British Cycle Thread (BSC) Dies available https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1057415975?...iABEgKKJvD_BwE

Comment

It’s cycle thread at the top so you can use a cycle wing nut for the damper

Comment

Not sure about a damper, stud screws into the top yoke with a lock nut so cant see how a damper would be fitted. The stud is also the adjustment for the head bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                          Not sure about a damper, stud screws into the top yoke with a lock nut so cant see how a damper would be fitted. The stud is also the adjustment for the head bearings.
                          It's for a Silverstone.....the damper was factory fitted....perhaps this pic will help demonstrate what Shelly is trying to point out.....

Brian.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X