380 Griffon Enduro silencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 380 Griffon Enduro silencer

I was fortunate enough to get a NOS silencer from a club member, the chances of getting anymore are slim to say the least. Not known for my mechanical skills (who said that) I decided to try and sort out making a few. The drawings make life easier and are essential to make sure the dimensions are correct, thankfully I have them for the silencer, GO1697.

First task was to get the tubes rolled which I got done locally as my friendly business around the corner had enough with me rolling the tool boxes and is now too busy.

That done I have now cut and drilled the 4 baffle tubes which make up the main part of the silencer, only one goes the full length the others are shorter and don't show right through the length of the silencer.

Next stage is to make the 'plates' that hold the baffle tubes. I might deviate from the drawings as it is difficult to put a 5/8 shoulder and drill the appropriate size holes. I am thinking of using slightly thicker metal and having them laser cut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	80138

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0590.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.4 KB ID:	80139

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0593.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.3 KB ID:	80140

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	0
ID:	80144

Hi Tony, are you thinking of producing a few of these? If so I'd be interested. Just checked my Enduro model parts book as your photo above doesn't look like the silencer on my 380 twin port. the drawings in the parts book are absolutely shocking ( even though I have an original book) but I suspect I may have a silencer from the 250 which is a longer cylinder . Would you happen to know, is this short stubby silencer specific to the enduro model? or was it used for the standard twin port too. i'd never considered my silencer might not be correct, but now I'm not too sure.
    cheers
    Paul.

Comment

Hi Paul - Yes plenty, I thought they might be useful on other models as well.

I am not sure to the answer to your question however the 250 Enduro had the small stubby one although in the parts book for the 250 it shows both GO1694 (250) and the larger GO1697 (380).
      The larger one has a 1 3/4 inch fitting which goes straight on the exhaust pipe, the 250 is much smaller and would need a swaged tube or suitable connector.

Also with East Coast and West Coast importers there would have been differences.

I am sure some one will chip in who is the font of knowledge on silencers

Click image for larger version  Name:	250 Enduro muffler.jpg Views:	0 Size:	277.9 KB ID:	80251

Name:	IMG_1318.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	80253

Correct 380 Enduro muffler
      Last edited by tony; 03/03/2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Was the 380 muffler designed to be re-packed?

Comment

Hi Phil, I don’t think so as it is all brazed together. I might put some discreet fixings on the exhaust pipe end so it can be repacked.

Comment

Baffle plates have been cut, however as the end plate is shaped like a tool box lid I will have to press some before moving forward.
            Progress so far.

Name:	IMG_0665.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	80375

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	80376

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	80377

Comment

Hi Tony,

Nice work mate, well done. Look forward to seeing them come together.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Tony,
                I'm following this with great interest and would be interested in buying one.
                Martin

Comment

Hi Martin - I will put your name down for one -

Comment

The rings arrived today ready to 'tack to the baffle plates so they look similar to the originals

Name:	IMG_0724.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	80646

Comment

Up to your usual high standard.

Comment

Thanks Mike, however credit must go to the laser cutter - I just organise it. Next stage is to press some domed baffle plates where the exhaust pipe enters, tool box lid mould will do this.

Comment

Hi Tony, Would you mind letting me know who the laser cutters you used are? I am making to some fairing brackets and float chamber mounts and the designs would best be laser cut. I've used an outfit down in the west country before, but the results were pretty appalling. Our local people understandably aren't really interested in small quantity "hobby" work. Yours certainly looked good in the photos.

Comment

https://www.conibearbrothers.co.uk ask to speak to Andrew

or https://predatorprofilesltd.wixsite.com/profiling good water jet cutting, just passed Tiverton on the Wellington road - ask for Deri
                            Last edited by tony; 27/03/2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that!

Comment

Working...
                              X