Greeves Scottish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Scottish

Hi ,bit of advice needed.the fork yokes on my bike has a nut at either end ,not taken it apart yet,is this normal,or should it be a bolt head at the top and nut at the bottom ,if this is correct has any one got one for sale , cheers John

Headstock bolt

John
    In response to this and your email the drawing of the ball race headstock shows that it is a stud with a nut on each end. Just to confuse the issue the drawing does refer to it as a "head bolt". My taper roller system is the same but the drawing correctly calls it a "head stud". Will send you copies of the two drawings.
    Regards
    Ian W
    Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Originally posted by T6xc View Post
      Hi ,bit of advice needed.the fork yokes on my bike has a nut at either end ,not taken it apart yet,is this normal,or should it be a bolt head at the top and nut at the bottom ,if this is correct has any one got one for sale , cheers John
      If you haven't taken it apart yet you possibly don't know that the bolts on each side of the fork yokes go into expanders inside the fork legs. To undo them just loosen them a few turns without removing them and then gently tap them down. You should the be able to remove the yoke.

The hole in the centre is for a long bolt which secures the top and bottom yokes through the steering head. Nut and lock nut under lower yoke.
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin it’s this one Iam talking about in the middle is it a bolt or stud ie nut at each end regards ,john

Comment

Sorry I remembered it wrong. It's a stud, so there is a nut in the middle of the top yoke. Also, the stud screws into a thread in the bottom yoke and is secured by a single lock nut underneath.

If anyone can tell you the thread size in the bottom yoke, you could easily make one if you can find some suitable steel rod.

I would think the thread in question is Whitworth (BSW), but I can't quote the size. Someone will know.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Cheers Colin I have a stud I just wanted to know if it was correct as I like to be right.really appreciate the help.thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X