Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Villiers 37a Yamaha clutch conversion - oil spec and quantity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 37a Yamaha clutch conversion - oil spec and quantity ?

I have bought a Villiers 37a engine fitted with a Yamaha clutch conversion by Villiers Services.
    On inspection the clutch has about 250cc of red ATF fluid. This seems too much ? I thought about 80cc would be used in a normal Villiers clutch with drain / level plugs. Also is there an issue using some ATF fluids with additives causing problems ? Help welcome !

Hello not sure why someone has put that much oil in up to the drain should be fine. Aft should be fine alot of people use it in gas gas clutchs but I always thought it made the clutch slip. gp10 would be better. Also the gearbox shaft will of been shortened by about 10mm to fit that clutch so you won't be able to go back to the villiers clutch if you wanted to

Comment

Hello Liam. Many thanks for your advice. I managed to speak to the original owner today and he said he used about 80-100cc of ATF , so I think it had just been over filled by the previous owner. I was not aware the gearbox shaft would need to have been shortened by 10mm, so that is useful to know.

Comment

Hi Bogwheeler

Do you know what model Yamaha the clutch was from? In my limited experience of Yamaha clutches most were all metal and designed to run in oil.

Phil

Comment

They use a modified ty80 clutch https://villiersservices.co.uk/index...roducts_id=835

I've tried a couple of bikes with them fitted and found them to be pretty good but not massively better than a well setup original

Last edited by Liam Robinson; 07/10/2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil
            Someone “told me” they used a clutch from a 125cc Yamaha, but Liam is obviously much more informed having installed them.
            Villiers Services website shows a photo of the kit, and there are friction plates alternating with metal.
            Colin

Comment

I believe the clutch was originaly from a YBR125 yamaha, but the villiers services one is almost certainly of chinese origin, works fine though and the kit is keenly priced

Comment

Thanks for the clutch identification. Do you have any recommendations on quantity and type of oil for the clutch from your experience ?

Comment

I use straight 30 and fill to level plus

Comment

If you are thinking about using ATF make sure it is the version that doesn't have ptfe in it.
                    Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

Comment

Working...
                    X