Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chaincase casting - should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaincase casting - should I be worried?

I'm a bit concerned about the chaincase casting on my Villiers 32a (on a Scottish). I've not had it long so haven't had the chaincase cover off before.

Where the stud emerges, there appears to be some damage to the casting, almost as though either the chain has broken the casting or someone has hacked it off to stop the casting fouling the chain. The cover has a circular post that looks like it should marry up with a corresponding one on the casting, perhaps even with a gasket or o ring of some kind to form an oil seal. But if that's right, the one on the casting is broken.

Hopefully the following pictures will help explain. Do I need to be worried about this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaincase casting 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	88526Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaincase casting 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	88525Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaincase casting 3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	88524Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaincase casting 4.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	518.7 KB
ID:	88523Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaincase casting 5.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	635.6 KB
ID:	88522

The spigots on the inner and outer cases do meet here, Jon, in a "dry" joint (no gasket or other oil seal). To check whether enough of the spigot remains to meet its "other half", lay a straight-edge across the inner casting ............... end of spigot should show to be in same plane as the chaincase rim, as will be confirmed for that of the outer chain-case. There is slight relief (one spigot is slightly "proud"), presumably to allow for thickness of the chain-case rim gasket (the "infamous" cereal packet!). Otherwise, as you surmise, much of the spigot on the inner chain-case does look to be missing for some reason (?)
    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 12/07/2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I've seen plenty like that and they don't cause a problem

Comment

Cheers teamferret, I like answers like that.

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
        ... presumably to allow for thickness of the chain-case rim gasket (the "infamous" cereal packet!).
        The paper gasket I bought from Villiers services was as much use as cuckoo spit, it didn't even fit perfectly. I've ordered some cork gasket material in 1.5 and 3mm thicknesses to make my own. Hopefully one of those will work to take up any 'tolerance' in the mating faces.

Cheers,

Jon

Comment

Have just cut up a Kelloggs All Bran carton to seal chain-case on an 8E. Holding good ............ so far?

(Other cereal brands are available!)

Comment

Well, paper and board with recycled content has a reduced fibre length, making it weaker, but since you’ve used All Bran, that’s bound to be high fibre

Comment

I too have found the VS gaskets don't fit. I would make up a spacer to take the place of the broken spigot on your inner chaincase if it was me, Jon, to prevent over-tightening, which could possibly crack the outer case.. Also, you could keep a look out for another inner case. They do come up.

Good photos btw....

Ian C.

Comment

Thanks Ian. I think there’s enough left of the spigot to prevent over-tightening. I’m always really careful about tightening onto studs anyway - one of the first things you learn about old airheads like mine is that the steel studs are mounted in cheese-like alloy. Tightening the single rocker cover nut is literally hand tight plus almost nothing. Are these Villiers blocks similarly fragile? Are they alloy or steel? Do you know of a recommended torque for that chain case nut?

I may consider a replacement inner case if one materialises, but I’m not sure it would work anyway without fouling those sprocket teeth. I think that’s why it’s broken now. The same might well just happen again if the teeth didn’t get destroyed or it just locked up.

Jon

Comment

The cases are cast aluminium. I doubt you will find a torque setting for the nut. There is no way that the clutch sprocket teeth should touch that spigot unless it is incorrectly assembled. Given there is enough of the spigot to tighten the outer casing onto, I would stick with it.

Ian C.

Comment

Translucent Neutral cure Roof and gutter silicone
                    I nip nut up firm. Wipe excess away.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Good for exhausts, gearboxes and of course, Tin roof and gutters.......

whitehillbilly

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ADEE949A-D75A-477C-9962-3150D9D5AAE6.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	538.5 KB
ID:	88545
                        Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                        There is no way that the clutch sprocket teeth should touch that spigot unless it is incorrectly assembled. Given there is enough of the spigot to tighten the outer casing onto, I would stick with it.

Ian C.
                        I think it must have been assembled incorrectly then, I’m fairly sure a complete spigot would foul the sprocket. As you say, best left alone while it works.

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	F1C3F6C6-B296-4F2A-9EEB-ABC92A7E2FBD.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	88544

Comment

Hi Jon.
                          Dont remember a step in the rod on mine.
                          The rod looks backward of the hole. Suspect in maybe bent.
                          Maybe a hit on the outer case at sometime in its life, which caused the break to the inner case.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Cheers Whitehillbilly. I would have thought the outer case would have to have shifted fairly significantly in a bump to bend the stud/rod far enough to break the inner case. I guess it’s possible. Also, if the stud/rod was bent now , surely the outer case wouldn’t fit.

I’m obviously a complete novice at this game but it seems more likely to me that someone fitted an oversized sprocket for whatever reason, necessitating some ham-fisted surgery on the spigot to accommodate it.

I think I’m just going to have to accept it as one of the old girl’s mysteries. All old ladies have secrets in their past, maybe I haven’t earned the right to know.

Jon

Comment

Mine has a flat machined on either side of the spigot to provide clearance for the sprocket and chainwheel. You can see where the flats were machined on yours. A P.O will not have fitted a larger clutch basket. Also, Whitehillbillies is correct in that the stud should not be stepped. Don't know what has gone on there, but if it works, I should leave it!

Ian C. Click image for larger version  Name:	32A clutch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	444.0 KB ID:	88567

Comment

Working...
                              X