Need help villiers c30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help villiers c30

Hi my names Ewan and I’m 14. I recently have taken about a villiers c30 stationary engine from my dads garage and decided to try get it to run. I’ve cleaned the carb and cleared the jets however there is no fuel getting to the spark plug. Where do I go now?

Hi Ewan, and welcome to the forum!

I'll say from the start that I only have a basic familiarity with the Villiers stationary engines, but I can offer you a couple of thoughts to consider. If it's a lack of fuel getting through, check to see if it does with the fuel cap removed, which would indicate a blocked air hole in the cap, assuming it has one like the bikes do. Otherwise, It's back to the carb I reckon. As you say you've cleaned the carb, have you checked that everything is moving freely? Is the fuel pipe clear of crud/obstructions? Where the fuel pipe pushes onto the spigot (often 'bottom fed' on these types of engines) try removing the central bolt that holds the pipe spigot onto the carb. You may find the metal gauze fuel filter also needs a clean. On some, this is located inside the bore of the bolt, others around it. If that's all clear, it could be the jets that are blocked.

When I worked in the bike trade and we had a bike that had been stood for a considerable time, we used a small ultrasonic bath to clean the carbs. Really, this is the only 'safe' way to ensure all those tiny holes are clear of crud. The worst thing to do is to poke some fine wire down a jet to clear it as it will enlarge the hole and wreck the carb. At one time you could get a small ultrasonic bath from Aldi for around £20 and this method always got results for us.

Really sorry I can't offer you more advice than this, but hopefully some of the lads will chip in to help. It's always nice to see young people taking an interest in old mechanical things...it's just how many of us started on here. Well done Ewan, and good luck with your project. Let us know how you get on with it!

Brian.

Comment

Hi Ewan. This forum is really about Greeves bikes which were fitted with Villiers 2 stroke engines. However the basic principles are the same for all engines and some of the carbs used by Villiers are of similar design. The C30 engine is I believe a 4 stroke side valve, used on lawn mowers, generators, small rotovators etc. You say no petrol is getting to spark plug and that you have cleaned the jets. So is the float sticking? Have you tried putting a drop of petrol down the plug hole to prime it? I assume also that the engine has compression as if its been standing the exhaust valve may be stuck open (a common problem with these small side valve engines) thus causing no suction through the carb. Also some stationary engines used a variable main jet, (older Suffolk lawnmower engines for example) which can fur up if left standing for long periods.
      If still no joy, it may be worth asking on https://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/user/login as members there will no doubt be conversant with the C30 engine.
      Best of luck.

Comment

Just found a pic of a Villiers C30 engine, it uses an up draft carb https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replac...re-/1364317712

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
          Hi Ewan. This forum is really about Greeves bikes which were fitted with Villiers 2 stroke engines.....
          ….clearly, but nice to think we can offer a young man who's 'having a go' some advice to help him out if we can, and some of this information will also be relevant to members of this forum as well.

Here's some additional info on ultrasonic cleaning;

Do come back and let us know how you get on Ewan, and hope you get it going!

Brian.

Comment

Working...
          X