Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrex ignition - checking the timing on my 32A motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrex ignition - checking the timing on my 32A motor.

Some advice please. Would like to check the timing on the Electrex ignition unit on the 32A engine in my Scottish. Dont think there is a problem but would like to eliminate it from the possibilities.
    I have the instruction/installation leaflet supplied which shows the timing marks etc. As I did not install the unit personally I had not seen under the outer cover until today. As many of you will by now have guessed you cant see the timing markes with the outer flywheel fitted. So presumably I have to take the outer flywheel off to be able to see the marks. Will the engine run correctly without the flywheel? If not how is it done please. Thanks in anticipation of your considered responses.
    Ian Wilkinson '61 Scottish 24TD118

You have to take the outer flywheel off. It does run without it. I have set mine up statically and using a strobe, the static method works. A word of advice, the wiring coming off the plate ended up getting cut by the flywheel. I ended up rerouting the wiring underneath the plate to ensure the clearance.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Many thanks Geoff. That's a very useful reply, particulalrly to look out for cable damage!

Comment

That's exactly what happened to mine Geoff, but I had the joy of having both cap heads that hold the lighting coil undoing themselves. Resulting in chewing up the flywheel lining. I cured it by putting the original points and coils back on. Starts 1st or 2nd kick, and lights that actually work. Would never buy electrex products again. Once you hand your cash over, they don't want to know. I expect other people would rally to their defence, but I wouldn't buy them.

Comment

Thanks Martin. Have no reason to defend Electrex but Villiers Services who are the sole agents for the Villiers versions have always been very helpful.

Comment

Electrex World have some bad reviews on Google ie

Louise Hynes
            a month ago-
            Faulty products that have incurred extra costs for us but under their terms and conditions they are not liable for. Terrible customer service, had to chase them up every time, couldn't even manage an apology.

Victor Shield
            a year ago-
            very poor customer service...brought a stator direct and then found the same item on ebay at 60% less
            called to ask why i was not told that the stator was cheaper on ebay and they told me that it was not....it was a mistake and had put the price back up
            Did not return my calls and had to chase them until i got an answer
            wont be using these again
            The stators do take time to wire into the system due to no plugs....best get a genuine item...bit more expensive but it fits

Alexio Fernandes
            a year ago-
            bad customer service
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/09/2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

There must be quite a few on here who have used EW ignition, with or without lights. It would be good to hear their experiences, good and not so good, which I am sure will be of help to members. I have a couple of projects looming after the current two, on which I have yet to make a decision regarding ignition system.

I have to say that my 20DC roadster with scrambles spec 250 top-end runs bog standard ignition; no Japanese coil under the tank, let alone an electronic system, and it is a first time every time starter. Hopefully I haven't put a curse on it by saying that......

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
                I have to say that my 20DC roadster with scrambles spec 250 top-end runs bog standard ignition; no Japanese coil under the tank, let alone an electronic system, and it is a first time every time starter. Hopefully I haven't put a curse on it by saying that......
                Ian
                Exactly Ian, if it aint broke and still works dont fix it!!!

Comment

I went with the system in order to add 12v lights and a horn to my TES to make it legal for over the road enduro events. After running it this past weekend (only about 80 miles out of 300 - but that is a different story) the system worked as expected. Not sure if the battery I am using with the system is not up to the task, the Electrex system did recharge it while running around with my lights off, and is able to keep the headlamp lit enough to be legal during the day after the battery stopped helping.

Eventually I want to upgrade to LED lighting so the battery becomes completely redundant and the demand is less than the 65 watts the ignition provides.

Comment

Geoff The TES with its original system provides for 6 volt direct lighting that does not rely on a battery, plus a secondary lower output for a horn and stop light. (the 2 pin plug on top of crankcase.)
                    OK the output of the head light 30 watts is not exactly blinding, but adequate for the speed the bike is likely to be ridden at, and if only to satisfy the regulations for road enduro events is fine, as the lights will not actually be used in darkness,

Comment

I have just phoned them and still a couple more weeks before they have them in stock. The ones with the lighting coils are not stocked at present as I was told several months ago they need to do work on it -presumably that means it does not work properly.

Comment

How does this company survive with such an appalling record of quality and customer relations?
                        Has anyone tried Rex's Speed shop https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/produ...g-stator-kits/
                        They do ignition systems for a lot of mainly Japanese bikes but I am sure they could engineer one for Villiers/Greeves engines if approached.
                        Last edited by John Wakefield; 01/10/2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I have had a query with Electrex regarding one of their products since May of this year, and still no reply despite two prompts from me.
                          I have three bikes fitted with their kits, and when working they are good.
                          I need some parts to fix one system.

Very poor customer service.

Ross

Comment

Working...
                          X