Removing flywheel on 32A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing flywheel on 32A

I have been trying to help Dave Pink sort of an ignition problem on his Scottish, just stopped suddenly while out on a run, no spark.
    Have changed condenser but still no spark, it has remote HT coil fitted, this appears to be OK as good spark using a 6 volt battery after LT coil disconnected. Checked voltage on LT coil output and this is only 1 volt so looks to be a problem with that. Unusual for LT coils to fail but presumably this is a doctored Sport Coil with HT windings removed.
    So tried to remove flywheel but not will not come loose with a hammer spanner, so i made of a 3 pronged flywheel holding tool to fit the 3 holes in flywheel, but this bent and still the nut wont budge, it wont even come undone a couple of turns to go into extract mode. I am sceptical that it will still not come undone with the now beefed up flywheel holding tool using a 18" bar wrench, with that sort of force it could shear the shaft. Looks like someone has used locktite on thread. Normally in this situation I would use some heat on the nut, but loath to do this as it may damage the coils. The only other solution's may be to use a pneumatic hammer wrench like the ones garages use to remove car wheel nuts.
    Any ideas

Hi John,

Not much in the way of replies, so will add my thoughts.
    If the nut has been fixed with loctite and your attempts have not worked to date, a pneumatic hammer wrench (rattle gun) would be the first thing to try, as no heat is needed.
    Failing that a heating and cooling cycle or cycles may be necessary. I have taken to using a heat gun so there is no flame but it takes more patience to get enough heat to soak in.
    If the thread is corroded some penetrating oil might be needed with the heat.

Regards

Peter Barnett (nzpeterb)

Comment

Thanks Peter, looks like Locktite is the problem, No corrosion as the engine was rebuilt a few years ago by a GRA member (who should have known better than to use Locktite).
      I will try again with my beefed up flywheel locking tool but if it wont budge then, Dave will have to take it to a garage with a pneumatic hammer gun, neither he nor I have a heat gun. We did spray it with WD40 so hopefully that may have soaked in.
      Lesson here is dont use Locktite on flywheel nuts

Comment

Hi.John,I hade the same problem with a clutch centre nut on a friends {non Greeves} machine I used a rattle gun, off in 2 seconds. Good luck, Regards Les.

Comment

This Tool came with my Bultaco years ago.
          Kept it as it fitted my Greeves Flywheel.
          Always use it to pull the flywheel off.

whitehillbilly
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehillbillies View Post
            This Tool came with my Bultaco years ago.
            Kept it as it fitted my Greeves Flywheel.
            Always use it to pull the flywheel off.

whitehillbilly
            A different design to mine which I made out of available scrap metal, which has three pegs that locate in holes in flywheel. Have not been back to Dave's yet since I reinforced the handle fixing. The strap type presumably gives better holding on OD of flywheel, presumably the strap part of it is spring steel, and of course it will adjust to any diameter flywheel
            Attached Files

Comment

Success at last, with a bit of heat from a gas torch, a long bar and 7/16th Whit socket with flywheel held with my beefed up flywheel holding tool the nut came loose, and flywheel pulled off the shaft.
              No obvious problems with LT ignition coil, just undid connector block to wires, cleaned connections and tightened up the screws again. Re fitted flywheel and bingo a big fat spark and engine started first kick. So looks like a poor connection to LT coil. Job done.

Comment

Nice when that happens. Good work.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Working...
                X