9e dynastart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9e dynastart

I bought a very clean (on the inside) 9e dynastart engine, which inside looks like it has never been used.
    The plan (yes I have one) is to put a long con rod in to get it up to 250, with the Greeves square barrel and head.
    This company do all the external electrical components as new updated electronic parts so that is one headache out the way

The other improvement I would like to do is have a belt drive clutch, one less thing to rattle and gives a smoother take up.
    I have carried out some research and there are a couple of options.
    Simon does a kit which is primarily used where the clutch will be open - karting. There is a vacuum formed cover for it but something would have to be made for the inner case as the clutch body sits too far back to fit it.

With the amount of modern clutches and belts available I am sure that there must be a few more alternatives.
    Some conversions have new clutch baskets for the belts and others rivet on to the existing basket.

Any thoughts?

The belt drive on the face of it looks a good idea, but you would need something more substantial than a vacuum formed chain case cover on a bike.
    Unless you are going to tune the engine to give megga output (highly unlikely and pointless with the heavy flywheel and drag of the dynastart) then the standard chain drive would be adequate adequate for the 12 to 15 bhp output and the amount of use you are likely to use it for. Is it worth the hassle and expense?

Comment

Did you add a photo Tony? All I am seeing is a no-entry sign!

Comment

I was not suggesting that I would use that cover only that it is available. As to whether it is worth the hassle and expense depends - it is quicker just to buy a Honda bike or put a Honda engine in the frame however that is not the point. The easiest route is rarely the most fun, well so it has seemed on my global motorbike travels.

Ian I can see the photo

Comment

Originally posted by tony View Post
          Ian I can see the photo
          Maybe I need to enable something, although I don't know what! I can sometimes see your pictures, sometimes not. For example in your 325 East Coaster thread, I can see some, but not others. I had to follow your link to Google Photos in order to view them. You provided the link because you thought there may be an issue with viewing them.

Ian

Comment

Tony, have you considered the slipper-type chain adjuster that VS produce? I have one fitted to the 9E/31A in my Scottish and it shuts up the clutch chain rattle admirably!

Comment

Yes, however I have no clutch for this engine so since I am starting from scratch I thought I would see what all the options are. The belt drive works really well on my T100C engine so worth exploring.

Comment

Working...
              X