Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AM I correct 9E Villiers chaincase oil levels ect.

Am I correct that there is no drain plug on 9E Villiers engine
    chaincase, only a level plug? Fill with 10/40 oil until it comes out the level hole. How much quantity is required ?
    Thanks,
    Andrew.
    Last edited by starman; 15/07/2011, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Does it matter, just pour in oil till it trickles out of level plug hole.

Comment

John, I was just making sure that I was correct in thinking there was no drain hole only a level one, the diagram I have is not clear.

Comment

Generally there is always some oil loss so the oil just needs topping up. If you want to drain it just loosen the cover bolt & remove the cover, put a contaner under it first though. It should have a paper gasket which may need renewing if its broken or torn. Just 'stick' it to the cover with gasket sealer to hold it in place, do not put sealer on inner face of gasket as it will make it difficult to remove next time.

Comment

Thanks for the advice John, much appreciated.
            Andrew..

Comment

Gudgeon, SAE 5 and 10 are light hydraulic oil. I scrounge some from the farmer sometimes. It's what i use in the Starmaker.
              Plain Hydraulic oil seems to be widely specified for machine tool gearboxes where there is no nasty combustion product to worry about.

Comment

Allways used ATF in my primary case, on my 24TCS 32A motor. Also used it in my 6E engined James Trails, for many years.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Beware - a friend of mine always used ATF in his primary case and one day started getting clutch slip. He found that his favourite brand had got some new additive - teflon or PTFE or something. Anyway, it rather pee'd on his bonfire!

I was also talking to somebody yesterday who used 75 grade gear oil in Villiers, including kart engines. Never heard of that one before.

I stick to SAE 10 mineral oil which seems to work OK.

Comment

Atf

Having been through the minefield of automatic transmission fluids for my now departed Toyota all I can add is that I will be sticking with Castrol ATF in my Triumph-Greeves (primary and gearbox). The high-tech stuff Rob refers to does have special additives to meet or exceed car manufacturers specs. on multi speed auto boxes. That normally means it comes with a pretty high price tag. Any where between £15-20 per litre.

Phil

Comment

My ATF was bought 15years ago, as not much goes in the primary case. How long does it last ????

whitehillbillies

Comment

ATF Old Stock.............

You should get at least another 15 years out of it then No 'Sell or Use by' date. Given the choice between old oil or no oil, old oil wins. It is only oil at the end of the day.

Phil

Comment

Hydraulic Oil

Hi I have always used EP 90 gear oil in the gear box (it can discolour the bronze bushes) and my lathe uses 10 and 20 wt hydraulic oil so I use the 10 wt in the chain case. Cheers Pete from the Antipodes.

Comment

Oil Quantities

Filled the Primary case on my STD 32A motor.
                            60mils of ATF to dribbling out the level hole.
                            4 speed gearbox took 350mils of EP90 (https://www.holden.co.uk/displayprod...?pCode=015.944)
                            Until dribbling out level hole. Just sitting dip stick plug on hole. The oil came up to the mark on it.
                            The filler plug I use when running the bike has no dip stick, as I read somewhere they act like a 'tuning fork' and break off.
                            Hope this is helpful, no need to remove the level plugs, to fill.

whitehillbilly

Comment

Working...
                            X