Hepolite Piston Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hepolite Piston Rings

Hi, just wondering where I could source a set or two of 66mm-60 thou oversize rings for my Hepolite piston.
    Today I pulled down my 32A motor to discover at some time the circlip had broken, and the gudgeon pin has worn a large gouge, in the barrel. I will take it to the local engine reconditioner see it the barrel can be bored out. its at 20 thou, so I maybe able to use the bigger piston.
    what about resleeving, or larger pistons. From where ????
    Any other thoughts
    Thanks for your comments.

whitehillbillies

Pistons & rings

For piston & rings try
    John Harding Tel: 01989 750731
    Mob: 07973889401
    E-mail:- johnharding197@live.co.uk

Not sure if he willl post to Australia though, would have been helpful to have mentioned where you lived in your request. (I looked up your profile)

Simon Bateman (Nametab Engineering) http://www.dot-motorcycle-club.co.uk...eering_ltd.htm
    does rebores & resleeving but cost to send barrell over to UK would be high, again not sure if Simon will ship overseas.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 16/09/2012, 08:58 AM. Reason: Nametab contact added

Comment

Rings arrived from the States, at 12 pounds each, two sets ordered, plus postage, 58 pounds all up.
      Next problem is there is a slight bevel, on the inside of the ring.
      Should the bevel,when the ring is in place, be up or down.
      The engine reconditioner, thinks they both should be up, but isnt sure, sayin sometime on a 4 stroke motor the second ring has a bevel ring, the bevel on the down side.
      before I notch the rings would like some imput.

whitehillbillies

Comment

yes your engineer is correct, what he is refering to is a ring called a scraper ring, which has a recessed edge on the under side, which twists & scrapes the oil more efficiently, but only used on four strokes.
        Another reason, for a ring with a tapered edge is to enable it reach tdc, without it fouling against the old wear ridge on the top of the barrel, in which case, the recess is fitted upward, only on the top ring. dave.

Comment

thanks Dave, so with the newly rebored barrel it doesnt matter which way round the go ???? or should the recess on both rings, be on the facing down ????

whitehillbillies
          Last edited by whitehillbillies; 23/10/2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

If it was me i`d put the rings in with the recess upwards, most rings are marked topside, sometimes hard to see, dave.

Comment

Hi Dave, the rings were made in the states, they ground it down to suit. as the ID was the correct size. The recess is on the INSIDE of the ring.
              Thanks for the imput.

whitehillbillies

Comment

Working...
              X