Later 250 Griffons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Later 250 Griffons

I have some 250 engines with the prefix GPF 13 and GPF 14. The despatch records do not cover these and all numbers are in the 3 letters plus 1 number format.

Also, the frame numbers are prefixed 60 K and are the last Griffon with Motoplat, later narrower Ceriani fork yokes and black paintwork.

Any ideas of the history of this particular variant?

Come on Druid, you must know the answer to this!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,
    What exactly do you want to know, I can probably tell you who built the engines and when if you give me the engine numbers. I don't believe there are despatch records for 60K bikes so it would have to be a guess. As you probably know model 60 is a 250 Griffon, the K refers to the spec, i.e. colour etc. Without looking up the spec sheets I would hazard a guess at US models, Kenny might know. Otherwise it's down to trawling through my mountain of paper.

Druid

Comment

Rob,
      I've just popped to the garage, my 250 Griffon is a 60K, a home market one, black frame and GRP, alloy tank, that's the answer.
      Druid

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
        Rob,
        What exactly do you want to know, I can probably tell you who built the engines and when if you give me the engine numbers. I don't believe there are despatch records for 60K bikes so it would have to be a guess. As you probably know model 60 is a 250 Griffon, the K refers to the spec, i.e. colour etc. Without looking up the spec sheets I would hazard a guess at US models, Kenny might know. Otherwise it's down to trawling through my mountain of paper.

Druid

Hello Rob / Druid.

I have a 60K Griffon (black frame & alloy tank) as well, manufactured in May of 74, which according to my registration, it did not sell until 1976! By this time very few 250 MX were sold in the USA. If I recall a story correctly from Frank Conley, there were a couple still in the crate when he purchased Nick's inventory...I think to Motoplats were missing too if I recall.

The latest manufactured 250 Griffon that I have come across were built in August / 74...maybe October. Nick sold more QUB's than the later black 250's.

Thanks for including me guys.

Kenny Sykes
        USA

Comment

Thanks chaps, we were just interested as the despatch registers and parts books gave no reference.

I assumed this was the last-of-the-line 250's and it's interesting to see that a few of them are still about.

Looks like they stem from about 1974 then?

Thanks again

Rob

Comment

380 Griffon

Have 380 Griffon ,frame number 63A 147 ,would like to know what the A denotes also their is H stamped on the crankcase where the gearbox bolts on.
            I did post earlier that my brother has an OULTON,the frame number is 35 RFS 119 so can be added to list of those still in existence.

Regards , Kane

Comment

When the factory was closing down I had a good search and found the Home market despatch records but the late ones were missing as were the Export records .

The home market records are those now held by the GRA.

It is probable that the other records were kept in a different place and got disposed of when the offices were cleared .

Chris

Comment

A 63A Griffon is the home market Mk1 QUB, with black frame,side panels and alloy tank.

The H stamped on the back, (or is it DH) is probably the engine builder, in this case Dave Harper.

The GRA owes riflegreen (Chris Goodfellow) a considerable debt. Without his magpie instincts we would'nt have all those invaluable despatch details.

At the same time Chris was filching those records I was acquiring the engine build records.

Druid

Comment

You two don't live in Essex by any chance??!!

Comment

Hi all this talk of frame numbers has made me check my bikes........and has raised a question on my 380 Griffon - single port QUB - Looks all original...with black frame - side panels and alloy tank - but the frame number is 56E - which according to the book is a 250 Griffon 1969. The Engine number is GB2C- 2348. She has Ceriani forks
                    Is this a hybrid? - and if it is an older Griffon frmae - does that make any difference ?
                    Thanks if you can shed any light
                    Regards Kim
                    p.s doesn't seem to slow it down though
                    p.s 2 - off to the Garage to check my 250 frame number - .......Which is 60 G 340 - looks like a 1971 250 Griffon
                    Last edited by Kim275; 10/12/2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Kim,
                      There's not much difference between the Griffon frames, the odd brackets here and there and the footrests. Dave Harper will give you chapter and verse.
                      Incidentally GB2C is the gearbox number, not the engine, look around the barrel flange on the crankcase for the engine number.

Druid

Comment

Originally posted by kane View Post
                        have 380 griffon ,frame number 63a 147 ,would like to know what the a denotes also their is h stamped on the crankcase where the gearbox bolts on.
                        I did post earlier that my brother has an oulton,the frame number is 35 rfs 119 so can be added to list of those still in existence.

Regards , kane
                        H stands for dave harper ! He built the engine
                        the 63a is a 380 qub mk1 griffon 1972? Gold metal flake black frame and early bikes had massive chrome forks by telesco
                        with a 1034 carb ! Amal yellow air filter

i have 63a126
                        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 12/12/2010, 11:27 AM. Reason: Duplicated posts combined.

Comment

[QUOTE=druid;5011]Kim,
                          There's not much difference between the Griffon frames, the odd brackets here and there and the footrests. Dave Harper will give you chapter and verse.
                          Incidentally GB2C is the gearbox number, not the engine, look around the barrel flange on the crankcase for the engine number.

Druid[/Hi Druid - Dad just checked the number on the flange and it is OPG 4/188 - is that the engine number? and does that tie for a QUB?? - Cheers KImQUOTE]

Comment

Kim,

Your engine GPG4 188 was built by Geoff Nunn on 16/1/1975 and was one of 14 built for the British Army. It still has its original gearbox (or shell) fitted.

This does, of course, mean that I know your bike is no longer Pre 74!!

Druid

Comment

John,

As you successfully managed to 'accquire' the build notes, do you have anything on my collection please?

The numbers are: GPF 13 / 182

GPF 13 / 188

GPF 14 / 137

Would you also be able to give me the gearbox number for each one please?

Thanks - I know you ex-Thundersley chaps are such damn good blokes!!

These are the numbers we can't find in the despatch records.

Cheers,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X