Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying ignition parts

Afternoon all,

I’d like some assistance please as my Dad and I are working through our spares lists and have identified a number of ignition parts but I’m struggling to understand 6v vs 12v and which are the ignition and lighting coils. I’m a bit of a novice with Villiers engines, hence what is probably a daft request. I’ve attached some photos to help but would be happy to discuss further if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks
    Tom
    Attached Files

All ignition except pic 6 which is a pair of lighting coils, all 6 volt

Comment

The blue ones are ignition coils from a japanese bike. It was common practice to replace the ignition coil behind the flywheel with a lighting coil then connect that to the Jap coil mounted under the tank

Comment

The 7th pic a Novi B120 coil is from a Raleigh moped

Comment

Wow. Thanks folks for the quick response and really valuable information>. I’ll keep updating the forum with progress on our current project

Comment

A quick update on the ignition discussion. Teamferret’s assumption was correct and our bike had an ignition mounted under the tank as seen in one of the photos. The coil in the other photo, I assume is a lighting coil, although this bike didn’t have lights fitted. Still debating whether to revert to the original ignition setup or stick with what we have on the bike...
            Attached Files

Comment

In actual fact dont use the lighting coils, but remove the HT windings from the original HT coil inside the flywheel leaving just the LT windings of the coil that are then used to power the remote HT coil. That way the lights can still be used

Comment

Thanks for the reply John, we’ll take a look at that once the re-build starts

Comment

Working...
                X