Leaky primary case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky primary case.

What gasket sealant would you suggest using to seal the primary side case ?

It should have a paper gasket, no sealant other a than bit of red Hermitite to hold it in place on inner case. If it leaks its because the cases are warped or damaged. In which case they need lapping in on a sheet of plate glass with grinding paste.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/01/2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Lapping the surface on plate glass is a traditional way of sealing cases- I use a sheet of melamine (that's the stuff cheap furniture is made of) with two sheets of wet & dry stuck to one side and a wooden batten on the other to hold it in a vice or workmate- lap till it shows a flat even grey colour, then put a torch inside holding the two halves together turn the lights out & see if you can see any gaps. Best of luck, it takes a while. Oh, and do it wet.

Comment

Use silicone sealant and no gasket. Both the ones from screwfix and toolstation work well. apply to one surface then fit but only hand tight. Leave for an hour or so then tighten fully

Comment

excellent thank you.

Comment

Red Hermatite - Only if you never want to remove it !

Comment

Memories of Red Hermatite! Applied by the bucket, it seals almost anything until the day you are presented with a job that needs to be smashed apart!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                Red Hermatite - Only if you never want to remove it !
                Reds OK it the brown that sets hard.

Comment

So, I've now spent several hours flatting two sets of Challenger primary cases using Peter's method. It worked well and I now have decent, flat mating surfaces for the first time in my ownership. However....I was planning to get the cases powder coated. Has anyone done this? Did the cases distort with the heat?

Comment

I've done various case with no problem, make sure they go a fair way into the inside otherwise the paint comes off at the joint face

Comment

Thanks for that. Interesting that you had the joint faces coated. I'll give it a whirl.

Comment

Nice to know someone likes my dodges! Talking of Challenger transmissions anyone have any spare gearbox innards? I want to fit a lower bottom gear to my ISDT bike as it has a close ratio box & 1st is too high , and I am still looking for a kickstart shaft with knackered splines to shorten to use in a Silverstone. Peter.

Comment

Red Hermatite is ancient. I always use Threebond grey with excellent results. Same as Yamabond.

Comment

Working...
                          X