Challenger Clutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger Clutches

The chainwheel in my MX6 clutch has a bronze bushing that mates with the hub - is this the only application for this arrangement. My parts books for MX3/4/5 show a ball bearing arrangement in the chainwheel. This appears identical to a Royal Enfield Bullet clutch - is this a possible replacement?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Dean Newton
    GRA member

Hi Dean,

I can't offer specific confirmation as such as I honestly don't know (), but this earlier thread (albeit 36MX4) seems to suggest the RE possibility may be right;

Hopefully someone who does know will confirm in due course-perhaps Kenny or Stormer know the answer?

All the best,

Brian.
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 04/09/2010, 08:51 AM. Reason: Link to thread added.

Comment

The Albion semi racing clutch has a bronze bearing but I would go for the one with the large ball bearing ring if you can.
      A better alternative for a working bike as opposed to a museum piece is the Griffon clutch but they don't come cheap.
      An Albion clutch of whatever type is OK if all the bits are in good condition, not guaranteed if bought at an autojumble.

Druid

Comment

Simon at Nametab advertises in Leading Link "Coming soon! Griffon clutches!"

So maybe our prayers will soon be answered..?
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
          The Albion semi racing clutch has a bronze bearing but I would go for the one with the large ball bearing ring if you can.
          A better alternative for a working bike as opposed to a museum piece is the Griffon clutch but they don't come cheap.
          An Albion clutch of whatever type is OK if all the bits are in good condition, not guaranteed if bought at an autojumble.

Druid

Thanks Druid for helping out Dean. I'll look to see if I have the MX6 clutch with the large ball bearing ring in my stash of goodies for Dean.

Dean and I have a fun event coming up in Washington state in a couple weeks to get ready for. I hope I can make it there.

Regards,
          Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by wfo47w View Post
            The chainwheel in my MX6 clutch has a bronze bushing that mates with the hub - is this the only application for this arrangement. My parts books for MX3/4/5 show a ball bearing arrangement in the chainwheel. This appears identical to a Royal Enfield Bullet clutch - is this a possible replacement?
            Any advice appreciated.
            Dean Newton
            GRA member
            Hi Dean,

Druid nailed it on the head. I have a clutch basket with the ball bearings. Send me a PM if you are interested.

I think Frank still has Barnett clutch plates in stock.

Thanks again Druid for the help.

Regards,
            Kenny Sykes

Comment

I use the ordinary Albion clutch in my Challengers with no problem. I have used new Enfield a springs and plates, they fit perfectly in mine .one of my clutches has plain ring one has ballbearings. The griffon clutch is probably a bit better but never worth the money, if you do buy one make sure it has the right number of splines in the centre.

Comment

Originally posted by stormer254 View Post
                if you do buy one make sure it has the right number of splines in the centre.
                For info: five splines as opposed to six!
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                X