Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves engine fiber base plate.

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me what material the heat transfer base plates are made of?

It looks similar to what bearing manufactures use for their phenolic ball retainers for super precision bearings.

I need to match up the transfers ports on an MX4 motor...just concerned if the material has asbestos in it and really not all that into breathing it!

Thanks,
    Ken Sykes

Kenny,

The material is "Tufnol" I use Carp brand which is still available over here, for that reason I don't think it has asbestos in it.

I believe it is organic fibres with phenolic resin pressed together and cooked.

If you machine it - do it dry, i.e. no lubricant otherwise it goes soggy and when the dust and cutting fluid dry it goes like concrete.

Druid

Comment

Tufnol

In the US try complexplastics.com

If you are cutting Tufnol do it out doors, or with a vacuum cleaner as a local dust extractor.

Hope this is of use

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by druid View Post
        Kenny,

The material is "Tufnol" I use Carp brand which is still available over here, for that reason I don't think it has asbestos in it.

I believe it is organic fibres with phenolic resin pressed together and cooked.

If you machine it - do it dry, i.e. no lubricant otherwise it goes soggy and when the dust and cutting fluid dry it goes like concrete.

Druid
        Thank you Druid and Phil!

I can breath easier now.

Kenny

Comment

Originally posted by Bearingman View Post
          Thank you Druid and Phil!

I can breath easier now.

Kenny
          Sorry...change that to breathe...

K

Comment

I always scrounge some from the electricians on my building site, it is used as an electrical insulator in switchgear so you should be able to get it from their wholesalers, but scrounging is best

Comment

Working...
            X