32a on Castrol R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32a on Castrol R

Basically, can I use Castrol R in my Villers 32a without damaging its internal parts. Smelt some on a bike the other day and it brought back memories..

Not advisable. Castor-based oil goes off very quickly when used as a premix.

When I was racing I used to mix up fresh fuel for each day of a two-day meeting - the leftovers would end up in the van in those pre-cat days.

Clearly not practicable for long term use.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

No to Castrol R

Totally agree with Colin here, Castrol R is for racing, for road use, use a good quality mineral oil such as Comma Two Stroke at 20:1. Available at most motorist type shops, I have used this for over 20 years with no problems. Villiers engines like lots of oil rather that the 'dry' lubrication of modern synthetic oils.

Comment

To give it that aroma just a slash in your premixed modern oil does no harm in 4 or 2 strokes

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
          To give it that aroma just a slash in your premixed modern oil does no harm in 4 or 2 strokes
          NOT in 2 strokes Dick it will react with the 'modern' mineral or synthetic oil.
          Ok in a 4 stroke though

Comment

I must be lucky then John,! never had a seize on the Greeves

Comment

I did use it in my TE when I was trialling, but got a couple of complaints from observers! Because a 2-stroke burns it, the smell is pretty strong, unlike a 4-stroke, which will only burn a bit. You won't do much to win over the anti-air pollution brigade if you ride around your local high street on your Greeves, burning R at 20:1!

I have heard that modern castor-based oil is less likely to congeal and gum up than the original stuff, and is therefore more user friendly. Not sure if anyone has any knowledge on that? I have an AJS Stormer 370, and the Fluff Brown website still recommends R. As John mentioned, no doubt because most Stormers would be racing, although mine is an enduro, so road-going. Ho hum.

Furthermore, and to back up Colin's comments, I also have a can of Putoline Special Racing Castor based oil, which I used when road-racing 2-strokes a while back. It states a 5% mix, so 20:1, and goes on 'When mixed use within one day!'
              Last edited by IanCordes; 29/05/2017, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Many Greeves championship riders still use Castrol R 40 notably Graeme and Gary smith ... Graeme has always used it for 40 plus years ....
                I stopped using it 2 seasons ago ... It gummed up dukes ring on my Cappra 414 so I switched all my bikes to mX5

Btw Adrian Dickerdon used it everywhere on his hawkstone petrol box and chain case ..... Funny thing is his hawkstone never breaks down !!! Go figure !!
                So the answer to your question mark is yes absolutely .... Although modern R40 is better it is still caster oil and will absorb moisture ... Keep the mix fresh

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                  Many Greeves championship riders still use Castrol R 40 notably Graeme and Gary smith ... Graeme has always used it for 40 plus years ....
                  I stopped using it 2 seasons ago ... It gummed up dukes ring on my Cappra 414 so I switched all my bikes to mX5

Btw Adrian Dickerdon used it everywhere on his hawkstone petrol box and chain case ..... Funny thing is his hawkstone never breaks down !!! Go figure !!
                  So the answer to your question mark is yes absolutely .... Although modern R40 is better it is still caster oil and will absorb moisture ... Keep the mix fresh
                  Kim. The point I raised was mixing a bit of R into other non castor based oils to give it 'the smell'. That is definitely a no no in a two stroke as the oils wont mix & can cause all sorts of problems, blocking jets, piston seizier & possible bearing failure. Yes on its own used as specified R is still a good oil for racing.

Comment

Fully agree on that one John never mix synthetic and castor based that is a No No ......

Comment

Working...
                    X