Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Greeves Tuning' - Barry Hickmott Article - Post #1 of #2.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Greeves Tuning' - Barry Hickmott Article - Post #1 of #2.

Here's another old article from my files with lots of good info, especially for newcomers to Greeves. I've posted both parts of the article, written by Barry Hickmott and originally published in the 1988 October and November editions of 'British Bike Mechanics' magazine.

I hope members will find it interesting and enjoy reading it.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 14/12/2014, 12:21 PM. Reason: Pics attached.

'Greeves Tuning' - Barry Hickmott Article - Post #2 of 2.

Here's Part 2 of the article, details as in Post #1.

Brian.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
      Here's another old article from my files with lots of good info, especially for newcomers to Greeves. I've posted both parts of the article, written by Barry Hickmott and originally published in the 1988 October and November editions of 'British Bike Mechanics' magazine.

I hope members will find it interesting and enjoy reading it.

Brian.

Good stuff Brian. I have been looking for that article. I had the other but couldn't find the magazine with that article in it.

Hickmott does get the story wrong in a few places!

Regards,
      David.

Comment

Greeves Tuning Article.

Hi David,

Glad you found it useful mate.

Agreed, it's a bit, shall we say, 'dated' here and there, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Hoping it might generate a bit of chat....

Brian.

Comment

I have no real complaints Brian. Anything about Greeves is usually interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post those ariticles. You do this regularly I know. It is very much appreciated.

Regards,
          David.

Comment

Greeves Articles etc.

Hiya Dave,

My pleasure mate, and thanks for your supportive comments.

I'm sure I can find a few more oldies but goodies', that is if I can remember where I put them.....

Brian.

Comment

Thanks for that. Wanted +040 Dykes rings, no stock of original anywhere, now found a set for a DT175 $28 + p&p in USA. Result. Dogsbody

Comment

Dykes Rings.

That is a result DB.

Makes it worthwhile posting this stuff when things like that happen....

Brian.

Comment

great article brian ,just what i need to start building my sprinter for next year , one of my panther club members has got the remains of a griffon scrambler in his shed which is coming my way as the basis for the bike , if you want info on tuning big fourstroke singles no problem but making little strokers go is a complete mystery to me ..will.

Comment

These books in downloadable pdf form might help Will.

Regards,
                    David.

Comment

More tuning info!

Thanks for posting those cracking book links David!

I'll be tucking into those as well! I've never actually read AG Bell's book but I've heard it's really good.

Brian.

Comment

A lot of it is theory and higher algebra and like me possibly a lot of what is in there will probably go over your head, but if you hang in there you will start to understand how all the cycles interact and how adjusting one part effects the other.

I had a little 125cc MZ ETZ single cylinder bike that I used as a test bed to play around with when I first read those books. I'm a big guy, 16 stone and that little MZ in standard factory tune would barely get to 50 mph with me on board. By the time I had finished with it - having used a lot of the information that is in those books, my little MZ could hit 70 mph.
                        Mind you in that state of tune, bored out to 160cc with a Yamaha snowmobile piston in it and running a 32mm Amal MK11 with the timing changed, ports opened up and the exhaust port opening raised - it made its power 2k revs higher than standard. Inevitably it didn't last long and ran it's big end into the ground very promptly.
                        It was great fun though and taught me more in a few months about the two stroke engine than I had ever learned over decades of fiddling in ignorance with bikes powered by two stroke engines.

Regards,
                        David.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                          Hi David,

Glad you found it useful mate.

Agreed, it's a bit, shall we say, 'dated' here and there, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Hoping it might generate a bit of chat....

Brian.
                          Hi Brian,

I'm sure it was BH who did a Silverstone racer test in one issue of the same magazine?

They lined up a pukka Silverstone against one converted from a Challenger on a stretch of A road somewhere in England. The test was cut short a bit when a Police car passed one of the Greeves being tested at full chat going the other way.

The Challenger version more than held its own on speed but won even more points on having a bigger spread of usable power right through the rev range.

I have the magazine somewhere with that article in it. Finding it might be a challenge though....... I'm not tidy with mags.

Regards,
                          David.
                          Last edited by 46T Sprocket; 16/12/2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 46T Sprocket View Post
                            Hi Brian,

I'm sure it was BH who did a Silverstone racer test in one issue of the same magazine?

They lined up a pukka Silverstone against one converted from a Challenger on a stretch of A road somewhere in England. The test was cut short a bit when a Police car passed one of the Greeves being tested at full chat going the other way.

The Challenger version more than held its own on speed but won even more points on having a bigger spread of usable power right through the rev range.

I have the magazine somewhere with that article in it. Finding it might be a challenge though....... I'm not tidy with mags.

Regards,
                            David.
                            Hi David,

That sounds like a very interesting article. Any chance of digging it out?

Cheers,
                            Andrew

Comment

Lol I'm looking just now but can't find it! I don't know if this happens in your house? I know where everything is. It's untidy - but I can usually put my hands on what I'm looking for. I've been out of the country for a month and Mrs N has been at work. The place is spotless, neat and tidy - I can't find anything!

Comment

Working...
                              X