Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers 9E with DynaStart

Hello everyone,

I am sure this has been asked before however i cannot find the info on the forum -here goes!

The engine is clearly plated 9E *** **

Can a villiers 9E dyna start engine taken from a InvaCar be converted for trials use in a Greeves Scottish ?
    If not, then are the Head, Barrel, Crankshaft useable as spares for a trials villiers 9E engine?
    I guess the gears are not suitable?
    Are the crankcases interchangable?

I have spent the grand sum of £20 purchasing said engine on the off chance!

Thanks in advance,
    Mac

The RH side crankcase is different, extra bearings to carry the Dynastart, The gear box would be the same & probably has a low first gear which would be OK for trials. The heaver flywheel will though make it a bit sluggish to respond to throttle but may be advantageous in trials. These engines have been used for trials before. Give it a go you have nothing to loose.

Comment

Thanks John for the reply,

Do you recall if the dynastart can be removed and replaced with standard right hand side cases on those engines that had been used on trials bikes?

Thanks again,
      Mac

Comment

Gearbox has no provision for kick start and the gear shift is a non positive stop.
        You would need the outer cover, kickstart and gear mechanisms from another engine.
        The fan housing on the clutch case can be trimmed down into a "slimline cover".
        You will need a battery as the dynastart dynamo will not work properly without it and there is no magneto for the ignition

Comment

At this years 1,000 Bikes at Mallory I was idly watching the trial when I spied a Villiers-powered machine which did indeed have Dynastart fitted. Imagine my surprise when along came the rider, sat on, pressed the button and it ground into life! Never seen that before!

Comment

The 9E was supplied in Dynastart form in both normal & fan cooling depending upon it applications, scooters having fan cooling but Bond Minicars did not. Some were also fitted with a reverse gear. Not sure if the Invacar had fan cooling the 'outboard' early ones with 8E engine didnt. There was also a 150cc 31C engine similar in appearance to the 9E with fan cooling and Dynastart.

Comment

Reverse gear John?????? 4 reverse gears maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                Reverse gear John?????? 4 reverse gears maybe?
                Yes two sets of contact breakers to reverse the engine, but I think there may have been some with mechanical 3 forward & 1 reverse gear. Excelsior did this on their Talisman twins for micro car use. The Bond though only had the 4 forwards speeds as it did not need a reverse due to sharp steering angle.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                  Yes two sets of contact breakers to reverse the engine, but I think there may have been some with mechanical 3 forward & 1 reverse gear. Excelsior did this on their Talisman twins for micro car use. The Bond though only had the 4 forwards speeds as it did not need a reverse due to sharp steering angle.
                  I seem to remember that the 8E had the Albion gearbox that could have a mechanical 3 speed and reverse

Comment

I think the Excelsior Talisman twins had the 4 speed Albion box. I had a Coronet 3 wheeler (like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/106311...-o5oETd-of1usF) with the 328 Talisman engine & that had 3 forward & reverse. I think they fitted an extra idler gear to on first to reverse the direction.

Comment

I fitted a reversing dynastart to my bond, just because i could. It was a good party trick with the bond to put nearly full lock on, then give it some, the car spinning around the back end, the front doing about 50 mph

Comment

Working...
                      X