MCS 34A Engine rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCS 34A Engine rebuild

Im preparing to rebuild my 34A engine and as this is my first british rebuid was wondering if there is any information on take down and rebuild, special tools, tips and tricks I may need to complete this with out to much stress.
    Many thanks for any assistance
    Dave Spencer

I would start by buying a workshop manual, there is one on eBay at present for £9.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Villiers-W...item231d00aeae
    The Villiers engines are quite simple & the manuals are easy to follow, they will also list any special tools needed.

Comment

Hey thanks again John, so do I need to source all the special tools in the manual, if so do we have a supplier in the club or is it the dreaded ebay watch...

Comment

No doubt someone in the club will have them but otherwise I suggest someone like Villiers Services. Dont think there are many the clutch holding tool comes to mind & a locking block for the primary drive.

Comment

Clutch holding tool is easy enough to make if you have an old clutch plate. (and a welder).
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

The tools you need are an extractor for the engine sprocket (easy to make), locking block to hold sprocket and clutch when undoing sprocket nut and clutch cap (file from block of aluminum) and clutch centre holder when undoing clutch centre (as Colin says, make from old clutch plate). The only tool that is easiest to buy is the clutch peg spanner although you could make one. Another thing to consider is a box spanner for undoing the gearbox sprocket nut if you are not removing the gearbox mainshaft. Lock the sprocket with a short length of chain held in the vice.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Just a thought.....not easy after a day in the Sun at BBridge!....Can someone do an article for the Forum/LLink on how to make service tools? I'm sure it would be useful to many who don't really know what the device is for, let alone know how to build it. If they can't do the job themselves, it would be easy to take to a pal who can fabricate etc. Reminds me, our home made slide hammer is still on loan......somewhere!

Comment

Working...
              X