Oulton Crankcases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oulton Crankcases

Bob Horton tells me that he needs a new pair of crankcases for the Oulton which he sprints. He's found cracking in the originals - he can weld them up, but it would make sense to preserve them in case he wants to restore it in years to come.

First off then - can anyone say what crankcases would be suitable? The Silverstones used the Challenger crankcase, but I suspect the Oulton might need 36MX4 or even 380 Griffon cases. Can anyone (Chris, John ) advise please.
    Colin Sparrow

Oulton crankcases

As far as I can remember the 36MX4 crankcases should be a direct replacement, but these are getting a bit scarce.
    The early 380 Griffon crankcases can be used (Steffa type) but you would have to allow for the different gearbox fixing arrangement but it's not difficult, If you're not using the Steffa and have machining facilities, as I suspect Bob has, then the later Griffon cases can be used.

Druid

Comment

Thanks very much John, I'll so advise Bob.

Are the gearbox mounting studs on a Griffon engine differently spaced than on an MX4, or are they just shorter?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Oulton crankcases

The Oulton Albion box is fastened with 4 long studs (5/16 BSW I think). The Griffon uses 3 cap head socket screws plus 1 stud at the bottom right corner. The spacing is the same.

Druid

Comment

Dead easy to modify then, if you have the original MX4 bolts. Thanks John, I'll tell Bob.
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks to Druid we've established that 36MX4 or early 380 Griffon components would be suitable, so this is to ask if anyone has got pair they'd be prepared to sell.

If so please put a note on here or PM me and I'll put you in touch, or email Bob on bob@bsmer.co.uk
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
            X