67 Challenger chaincase oil and plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 Challenger chaincase oil and plug

Hi,just drained oil from challenger chaincase,going to try atf but can someone help with the quantity.
    also should my 250 1967 challenger have short reach spark plug, and what number plug.

Hi challenger, can`t give you the exact amount for your model, but most bikes with this design run on as little as 180ml, atf is thin & tends to get thrown every where, so to much will find its own way out & on to your garage floor. dave.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
      Hi,just drained oil from challenger chaincase,going to try atf but can someone help with the quantity.
      also should my 250 1967 challenger have short reach spark plug, and what number plug.
      The bolt on the side of the chaincase is the level plug - just remove it and add oil until it pours out. ATF should be fine, I use Comma Dexron III. Some use Shell Tellus, but this is difficult to purchase in small quantities.

As for the spark plug, it depends on the kind of use the bike is going to get. For racing, I use an NGK B8HVX, but if it just for a bit of fun you could probably use a B7HS. Both short reach.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
      Andrew

Comment

thanks

Thanks for your replies dave and andy,have put in atf(wish i had garage for it to leak in)
        i should change plug,when got bike it had short reach BP7HS,had someone look at it and they fitted B8ES long reach.
        All isgoing well now apart frompulling away,engine revs ok,feels likeclutch dragging ?
        What difference does long or short reach plug make (soory so many questions,loads more to come )
        Gearing to high,this not helping to pull away,if i get way can run round field in first.

Comment

Thanks for your replies dave and andy,have put in atf(wish i had garage for it to leak in)
          i should change plug,when got bike it had short reach BP7HS,had someone look at it and they fitted B8ES long reach.
          All isgoing well now apart frompulling away,engine revs ok,feels likeclutch dragging ?
          What difference does long or short reach plug make (soory so many questions,loads more to come )
          Gearing to high,this not helping to pull away,if i get way can run round field in first.
          Hi Challenger,

Most motorcycles (well, at least the ones owned by the people on this forum) use either a 3/4" reach (19mm) or 1/2" reach (12.7mm) spark plug. The length is determined by the length of the thread in the cylinder head, so its very important to use the correct one. If you use a plug which is too long, it could hit the piston!

I know my MX1 takes a short reach plug, but I have to admit that I'm not 100% certain this is the case with an MX5, so maybe someone else could confirm this.

It does look as though you're going to have to take the clutch apart - all sorts of things could be wrong with it. If its the original clutch then most parts are available from Hitchcocks.

Cheers,
          Andrew

Comment

Challenger plug

Challenger type heads had both long and short reach plugs at various times. My Anglian is short reach but my Challenger is long reach. Take the head off and check.
            For the challenger I use N3C plugs and they work fine.

Druid

Comment

(soory so many questions,loads more to come )
              Isn't it about time you joined the Greeves Riders Association..?

Also, could you please not start a new thread every time you want to ask a question. Just put it on the end of one thread about your Challenger, everyone will see it all right.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
              X