Challenger progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenger progress

Hi,have now got challenger starting and running better.Pulled away fine when cold and ran ok,stopped and started when hot easily but seemed to suffer what felt like clutch drag and could not pull away again.Left to cool down started and pulled away fine again,could this be lubrication problem,what oil do you all use for the chancase and also gerbox,bike is 1967 challenger 250 mx5.look farward to your thoughts
    cheers.

challenger clutch drag

Originally posted by challenger View Post
    Hi,have now got challenger starting and running better.Pulled away fine when cold and ran ok,stopped and started when hot easily but seemed to suffer what felt like clutch drag and could not pull away again.Left to cool down started and pulled away fine again,could this be lubrication problem,what oil do you all use for the chancase and also gerbox,bike is 1967 challenger 250 mx5.look farward to your thoughts
    cheers.
    I would also like to know the same regarding clutch and gearbox also the ammount they require, I have started my challenger today and have had the same problem of draging I took off the chaincase cleaned between the plates and I will put it back tommorow (it has not been run for over a year!) think this may be the reason

Comment

My 360 Challenger primary chaincase takes 140cc of 5-30W oil before it runs out of the level plug. I drain it after every meeting.

I have used 5 or 10W fork oil to overcome clutch drag.
      John A - 268

Comment

challenger clutch drag

Originally posted by John-Boy View Post
        My 360 Challenger primary chaincase takes 140cc of 5-30W oil before it runs out of the level plug. I drain it after every meeting.

I have used 5 or 10W fork oil to overcome clutch drag.
        thanks I was thinking of using 10 oil grade as I think this is what we are using inthe griffon and my Anglian. the challenger case on the 250 I have does not apear to have a level plug ? gearbox oil 70 grade does that seem about right thanks

Comment

Dick
          has your Challenger got the later gearbox with the big round(ish) end cover?
          Mine has a level plug half way up the rear of the gearbox casing, very close to the bracket that connects the engine to the swinging-arm.
          From empty it takes about 350cc of oil, I use Silkolene Medium Gear oil which is 85W-90 (equivalent to 20-50 engine oil).

John
          John A - 268

Comment

John Boy Challenger

Hi Mate,

have now checked the chaincase and realise tht there is no drain plug and the bolt I mentioned is the level!

I will check gearbox tommorow , but I use the same oil that you do in the griffon so that should do thanks Dicky

Comment

The chaincase takes 1/4 pint of SAE10 or what ever equivalant you find , with the level plug only chaincase lay the bike on its side or use what I did - a Redex squirter .

If I remember right after forty five odd years , twenty squirts of the Redex gun was 1/4 pint .

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X