Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody. I'm a new member, just joined the forum and I'm looking for some help or information about my new acquisition. In the 1960s and the age of 15, my first proper trials bike was a Greeves which I always regretted parting with. Over the past couple of years, I've been considering a restoration project and about a couple of months ago, I finally took the plunge and bought a Greeves 1959 trials - with a few parts missing. The Frame number is 59 2745 - it was described as a Scottish but I'm not sure it is. Does this frame number seem right? Be glad for any help from you experts. I'll no doubt be asking more questions as I go along.

Hi. if you look at the "Identify" tab on the Home page of this website, it seems that your frame may have started as a road bike with a 250 twin engine. It is not unusual to find bikes modded from roadsters to Trials and Scramble spec.

Comment

Indeed it is a 25DB roadster frame. It was on eBay back in 11/14 see this thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ight=59%2F2745
      The original eBay listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREEVES-SC...item58b79479fc
      and again in 12/14 after presumably it did not sell first time maybe after buyer twigged it was a 'fake' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREEVES-SC...item58b87ccae0

Its a dangerous place out there in 'evilBay world'
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/02/2016, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this, Brian - it confirms my theory.

Comment

Jeff, welcome to the forum, I hope you find it useful. That frame sits in the 25DB road bike range so maybe your feelings are right and it is not a Scottish. Ah! Just noticed our resident super-sleuth JW has tracked it whilst I've been writing this! Well done John!

Not sure if you have already joined the GRA but if not, we are running an offer at the moment which is join now and membership lasts until june 2017. The club has engineering darwings and pictures in the archives which are available to members.

You haven't sald where you are located but on Sunday, 3rd April, we have our annual 'Greeves Gathering' at Kiddlington near Oxford. There is always a mostly-Greeves autojumble where it is possible to pick up various bits. Paul of 'Cotton Villiers Spares' and Villiers Services also usually attend. I even bought a complete and running Scottish there a couple of years ago.

You should find plenty of help on here and also within the Club. If the frame does not prove suitable, I'm sure you would soon be able to find another one and sell yours.

I too had a Scottish back in the day, bought for £8 and sold for £12. When I next saw it, the owner had paid £150 for it and eventually sold it for £600! 9584 BP where are you!
          Good luck with the bike!

Comment

Thanks John - very impressed with your detective work. I think I'll still try to get it up and running - perhaps look for an authentic frame.

Comment

Working...
            X