Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale:- Villier 1H 225cc Engine & Parts

Hi All

Ive recently advertised my Villiers 1H 225cc Engine on Ebay. On reflection I thought I should also post the details here incase anyone is interested in buying the engine!

Details as follows. My best contact is nigeljohn-1@hotmail.co.uk for any further details

Original Villiers 1H 225cc single cylinder engine. Suitable for Francis Barnett, James, Greeves, Cotton, Excelsior etc. Excellent option for renovation\show bike project or just complete engine replacement, and\or parts. Requires only minor cosmetic work to 1 engine mounting + appropriate side covers, but does have some broken head fins. In good working order and running!
    Approximately 1000 mile since full engine rebuild some years back (New Piston & Bored at + .060" Big End Bearing, Little End & New Conrod, New Main Bearings and all Compression Seals + Ignition & Lighting Coil reconditioning)

Additional items which can be bought with the engine include a set of :- Greeves Engine Plates, Barrel Inlet Manifold, Villiers S25 Carburettor and spare Aluminium Head, prices for additional parts subject to agreement. I also have a new 250cc Piston, Re-bored + 0.060" Iron barrel & Aluminium Head which I think could be used with the 225 engine or any other 250cc Villiers variant.

I am also looking for a Greeves square Head & Barrel + Piston kit, and will be willing to consider trading parts if appropriate. For any further information contact me via ebay or my email address as shown

Pictures via Ebay Search - VILLIERS ENGINE.

1H & 2H engines

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
    Hi All

Ive recently advertised my Villiers 1H 225cc Engine on Ebay. On reflection I thought I should also post the details here in case anyone is interested in buying the engine!

Details as follows. My best contact is nigeljohn-1@hotmail.co.uk for any further details

Original Villiers 1H 225cc single cylinder engine. Suitable for Francis Barnett, James, Greeves, Cotton, Excelsior etc. Excellent option for renovation\show bike project or just complete engine replacement, and\or parts. Requires only minor cosmetic work to 1 engine mounting + appropriate side covers, but does have some broken head fins. In good working order and running!
    Approximately 1000 mile since full engine rebuild some years back (New Piston & Bored at + .060" Big End Bearing, Little End & New Conrod, New Main Bearings and all Compression Seals + Ignition & Lighting Coil reconditioning)

Additional items which can be bought with the engine include a set of :- Greeves Engine Plates, Barrel Inlet Manifold, Villiers S25 Carburettor and spare Aluminium Head, prices for additional parts subject to agreement. I also have a new 250cc Piston, Re-bored + 0.060" Iron barrel & Aluminium Head which I think could be used with the 225 engine or any other 250cc Villiers variant.

I am also looking for a Greeves square Head & Barrel + Piston kit, and will be willing to consider trading parts if appropriate. For any further information contact me via ebay or my email address as shown

Pictures via Ebay Search - VILLIERS ENGINE.
    Greeves never actually fitted the 1H (224cc) or 2H (246cc) engines. although the mountings are the same as the 2T 3T & 4T twins. The power output was 10bhp for the 1H & only 11bhp for the 2H (the 32A gave 12.4) The unit was also heavier & less compact as the A series singles & therefore not really suitable for comp use. It was conceived as a road bike engine

This is what Roy Bacon has to say about the 1H & 2H in his book Villiers Two Stroke Twins & Singles

225/250cc H unit
    The 1H was announced in 1953 as a touring unit and was the first to have streamlined construction. It was based on dimensions of 63 x 72 mm to give 224cc so was essentially a bored out E unit on the lines of the later 9E not the then current 8E. [actually it was more to the design of the 2T twin with 'egg' shaped outer covers]
    The external design was as for the 9E but carried further to include a cover for the carburettor, which was totally enclosed. Internally, full flywheels turned on four ballraces and the flywheel magneto was much smaller so an external coil had to be used. The points remained under a cover on the right and this also carried a key operated ignition switch in its upper surface.
    The remainder of the unit followed Villiers practice and the four speed gearbox was fitted. Early engines up to 2929 were fitted with a primary chain tensioner but this was removed due to noise
    The 1H was replaced in 1957 by the 2H, basically an enlarged version with dimensions of 66 x 72mm to give 246cc and of similar appearance to the 250cc twin unit. Like the 224cc model, it was fitted with a four speed gearbox and ignition switch in the top of the right hand side cover. It did not remain in production for long as it was superseded by the A range engines.

Also worth mentioning is that AMC produced a very similar engine in 199cc & 249cc form. Although very similar to the 1H / 2H the parts were not interchangeable although I think mountings were the same. It was a Piatti design that had quite a few inherent quality problems, in an attempt to rectify these AMC in 1961 reached an agreement with Villiers to assemble the engines. Again these engines were not used by Greeves & only appeared in AMC's own James & Francis Barnet machines.
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 24/12/2015, 11:03 AM. Reason: Details of AMC engines added

Comment

1H 225cc Villiers

Hi John

Thanks for the info, I had made the assumption that the 2t and 1H engines were at some point both fitted to Greeves frames.

I'll probably leave the post up as it might inspire some interst by the GRA members, and the additional parts I mentioned might be useful for Greeve renovation project work or similar type projects etc.

At present I'm currently working on a 1963 MDS project and wondered whether you might know what the most likely exhaust arrangement was for that period? Specifically, whether I should be trying to source a square section or Round down pipe exhaust system?

Kind regards Nige

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
        Hi John

Thanks for the info, I had made the assumption that the 2t and 1H engines were at some point both fitted to Greeves frames.

I'll probably leave the post up as it might inspire some interst by the GRA members, and the additional parts I mentioned might be useful for Greeve renovation project work or similar type projects etc.

At present I'm currently working on a 1963 MDS project and wondered whether you might know what the most likely exhaust arrangement was for that period? Specifically, whether I should be trying to source a square section or Round down pipe exhaust system?

Kind regards Nige
        Sorry cant help with the MDS exhaust, my interest/knowledge is towards road bikes. If you are aiming to use the bike in scrambles you may need to fit a more modern quieter system, The original MDS exhaust will not comply with current noise regulations. No doubt one of the scrambles lads can advise.

Comment

1H engine

I once fitted a 2H engine into a 25DC roadster in order to get an age related number. Beware that the exhaust port exits the cylinder quite near centre, making it very difficult to fabricate the exhaust pipe in the space between the alloy beam. Has been replaced with a 2T to return to normal. I hope this might save someone problems. LES.

Comment

Hi,

The Mds had an open megaphone exhaust fitted as standard.

It was only a round piped stub which opened up into a mega under the clutch cases. The problem today is finding one, they are like goldust these days....

Regards

Scott
            Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 27/01/2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
              Hi,

The Mds had an open megaphone exhaust fitted as standard.

It was only a round piped stub which opened up into a mega under the clutch cases. The problem today is finding one, they are like goldust these days....

Regards

Scott
              And far too loud to be used in competition, sadly.

1963-1965 the MDS had a properly designed expansion chamber tucked in on the right.

See pages 109/110 of the book.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

I can't remember seeing an MDS with a "spanny", or even a photo of one, has anyone got one. My pals went straight from Meggas to after-market Mayfields to Challengers. Can I sue the ACU for my deafness?

Comment

Interesting, I thought the me starmaker had the first of the quiet exhaust scramblers. But that was around the same time ie 1963...

Scott

Comment

As I say in the book, the change was as much about noise reduction as performance; the ACU were starting to clamp down - the number of complaints was increasing.

plus ca change, eh?
                    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Scott, you are almost correct! The Starmaker, for all it's initial faults, was markedly quieter that the MDS etc with a mayfield. Some Challengers were seen with the same lozenge chamber from the Starmaker, but it didn't seem to catch on for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                      X