How many Greeves road bikes are still actually ridden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Greeves road bikes are still actually ridden

Following Keith's recent postings regarding the road bike side of the club, it would be interesting to know how many roadsters are still actually ridden these days. Maybe those roadster owners with access to the forum would would like to post up a brief description of their bike, & annual mileage. I will start the ball rolling:
    John Wakefield 25DC East Coaster 800 miles in last year, local rides for pleasure & club nights.

Road biker in Mid Wales

Keith Bolas,

1961 32DC. Will ride it anywhere once I get it home in late October, within a 80 mile radius of Builth Wells.

Comment

Greeves roadsters ridden.

1961 32DC= Two thousand miles in last three years. i959 25DC special=One thousand five hundred during same period. 1964 25DD=just restored,I will commission for road when tank sealant is sorted. Safe riding,Regards, LES.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Bolas View Post
        Keith Bolas,

1961 32DC. Will ride it anywhere once I get it home in late October, within a 80 mile radius of Builth Wells.
        Take care with washing off the salt from your bike that they start to put down on the roads once the weather cools Keith. Although mind you - it might be warmer down there for longer than here in Scotland.

I made the mistake late last year after getting the thing running for the first time of taking the Pathfinder down a lane that had run off from the main road and didn't hose it off after the ride. It looked clean. There was hardly any signs of dirt or water showing on the bike so I put the bike away and got on with other things............

Big mistake! Freshly polished bare alloy does take a on a nicely white frosted look when that salt crystallises!

All the best. Enjoy.
        David.

Comment

How many Greeves road bikes are still actually ridden

I ride my Eastcoaster about 200 to 400 miles every year and enjoy just going round the lanes near Blackpool eating the odd ice cream on the way.However,I do not ride in the rain or the winter.

Comment

1958 25D Fleetwing 'mongrel' - only 60 miles so far. It's too smokey whilst running-in to use it for VMCC club runs.

AndyB
            Attached Files

Comment

653 miles around Builth Wells (watch out Keith) 2nd weekend of this month. Admittedly that was on my 1960 RE Bullet 'ISDT' rep but that is really a Greeves with valves in (to me anyway)! Better add, I don't mean around the Builth Wells one-way system either as that has temp traffic lights at the moment!

Rather, the old ISDT routes including a run to Shobdon Airfield, scene of the 1961 speed tests. The cafe there is well worth a lunchtime visit, hot meals at a very good price.

Comment

Just a couple of hundred miles on the 32DC - but it shares duties with a Triumph and a modern Yamaha. The 24TFS is still in bits and the 24SCS is indoors and regarded as a work of art.

The best VMCC run was washed out this year, worse luck. Usually they enjoy the smoke, especially if it's racing synthetic premix...
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Only 123 Greeves left on the road

According to this web site How Many Left
                  How Many Left. See how many cars of any make and model are left on Britain's roads.

There are only 123 Greeves on the road, 8 Anglians & 115 other Greeves (missing means model name or type not known)
                  Ok this is only a rough estimate based on the DVLA database & there are obviously lots of other bikes laying in sheds not licenced which are not included, SORN'd bikes are included in the above.
                  Interestingly the numbers of 'unidentified' Greeves are increasing year on year suggesting that 'barn finds' etc are coming back on the road. The number of Anglians has remained static though.
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 27/09/2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Geoff Thrower till riding south of Edinburgh. Not many miles this year for medical reasons but usually at a couple of shows and the local club meets.
                    Bike is a 20DC, with Silverstone hubs and Starmaker engine. Had the bike since 1971.

Comment

New Old Stock 32DC ??

Will ride it everywhere, but not on the salty icy Welsh roads.

Needs a severe oily rag treatment and a WD40 service.

Is there anyone living anywhere near Builth Wells.

Keith
                      Attached Files

Comment

Road bikes in use.

Hi John, I ride about 1000 miles a year on my ex Staffordshire police 24DF. I do VMCC club runs and some touring weeks, I also do some BTSC club runs but once the salt goes down I put it away until spring. Attached is a photo taken during an Essex VMCC event this year. Yes it is used two up most of the time and is well thrashed! I did have a 32DC as well but have now sold it but it is sorned. I think it has been sorned ever since the current tax that was on it ran out, maybe poor health is the reason...John P.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I have an East Coaster and a 25DC. The East Coaster has developed a gearbox leak and has not been ridden this year. Previously I would do about 3 to 400 miles per year mainly to local shows and the odd local run. The 25DC is in the middle of a rebuild (for about 2 years now) but winter is coming so there is hope for next year for both bikes as long as I don't get involved with any other 'projects', decorating etc.

Brian.

Comment

My Ranger is mot'ed and on the road, so that must be in the statistics somewhere. Don't do many miles on it at the moment as the big end sounds a bit rough!

Comment

Originally posted by John Pattinson View Post
                              Hi John, I ride about 1000 miles a year on my ex Staffordshire police 24DF. I do VMCC club runs and some touring weeks, I also do some BTSC club runs but once the salt goes down I put it away until spring. Attached is a photo taken during an Essex VMCC event this year. Yes it is used two up most of the time and is well thrashed! I did have a 32DC as well but have now sold it but it is sorned. I think it has been sorned ever since the current tax that was on it ran out, maybe poor health is the reason...John P.
                              The bike looks smart John, nice to see one of the 'plod' bikes on the road. Talking of Essex I had a ride out this afternoon on my 25DCE around Essex taking in Clare Cavendish Steeple Bumpstead, Finchingfield (lots of modern bikers gathered there) & Saffron Walden. Surprisingly most the roads have been recently resurfaced making for a lovely smooth ride. Here in Cambs all they do is patch up the potholes.

Comment

Working...
                              X