Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oils

On the subject of oils (have started a new thread as not appropriate in For Sale) Whilst I dont have a Griffon so cant quote specifically on that model, in my 4T roadster I use normal 10/40 engine oil in primary chain case & SAE 80 gear oil in the gearbox. Whilst these are thicker than the recommended 10 SAE (primary chain) & SAE 30 (gearbox), everything seems to work OK, & the thicker oils dont leak as much as the thinner recommended ones. Still get leaks from primary & gearbox if I fill to capacity, but at least it keeps the stand lubricated & rust at bay, & I dont have to do oil changes.

oil

Good tip that John,I have a few slow leaks so SAE 80 it will be.

Comment

Don't forget John, that engine and gearbox oils conform to two different SAE specs. SAE 50 engine oil is not thinner than an SAE 90 gear oil in terms of viscosity, in fact, they are roughly the same. I believe an 80 is thinner that an SAE 30 engine oil too. I always believed they were the same scale and that I would be putting treacle in my gearbox! Also, the two types of oil contain different additives depending on their purpose therefore it makes sense to use the appropriate oil in this day and age.

For more information, there is an article by Bruce Main-Smith on both viscosity and additives in Motor Cycling, October 8th, 1959.

With that, I will admit that I need to get out more. It must be something to do with the unconnected but simultaneous visits of Brokabolt and Dangerous Dick yesterday!

Comment

Oils

Rob dont think I entirely agree as the higher the viscosity the slower it flows & therefore will not leak so quickly, so it is in effect thicker. See this link http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto..._explained.htm

Comment

Read your own data source John and look at Table 5 of SAE Crankcase against SAE Gear which shows 90 gear = 40-60 crankcase

Comment

oil leak amoco cadizz

my triumph dosent leak it marks it territory )))))

Comment

Originally posted by pluscab View Post
              Read your own data source John and look at Table 5 of SAE Crankcase against SAE Gear which shows 90 gear = 40-60 crankcase
              Yes in theory that would appear to be the case, but in practice the 80 SAE gear oil does appear thicker than the SAE30 engine oil & does not leak as much, & also being a gear oil gives a smoother & quieter transmission.
              Going back to an SAE 10 oil. what about 3 in one, I read somewhere where that it is around SAE10.

Comment

Take care with griffon clutch oil

Caution johns 10 40 engine oil might be ok in roadster . But for a motocross bike you only use the clutch once and when you dump it and shove 45 bhp through it with 100 yards to the first bend ... You don't want it dragging !

Comment

Is it not possible to convert to toothed belt drive thus alleviating the need for oil in the chain case. There are various conversions on the market & for the Villiers 30 series I believe.

Comment

I took my own advice and 'got out more', notching up 100 miles following the Pioneer Run. Home to Epsom to Brighton to home. Never saw a single Greeves but Matron never saw me all day either.

The answer is to try different oils until the gearbox stops seizing!

Anyway John, the answers are within your family:

John Wakefield patented the Wakefield lubricator for steam engines in the 1890s.[1] In 1899 he founded the Wakefield Oil Company, but subsequently changed its name to Castrol. The name Castrol was chosen because of the castor oil that was added to the company's lubricating oils. This title has since become a household name in the United Kingdom. The Castrol brand lubricants produced by Wakefield's company were used in the engines of motor cars, aeroplanes, and motorcycles.

A Castrol endorsement contract and the generous patronage of Wakefield provided the funds for Jean Batten to purchase the Percival Gull Six G-ADPR monoplane in which she set two world records for solo flight.

So there you are, you have the answers all along!

Comment

Aviatrix and Oils

Ahh - Jean Batten, the 'Greta Garbo of the Skies' with her wonderful Percival Gull. Wakefield had an eye for the ladies as he also sponsored Amy Johnson's flight to Australia. And you can crank aeroplanes over further than Silverstones in the corners!
                      I thought the Triumph oil leak was a design feature to give the owner a trail to follow to find their way back home?

Back to the thread. I too had clutch drag problems when I went from Silkolene multigrade to the original Castrol GTX some years ago. I currently use a light monograde with no ill results.
                      I believe Villiers Services offer a suitable oil, also wasn't there a recent thread suggesting the use of ATF in Primary Chaincases?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        I took my own advice and 'got out more', notching up 100 miles following the Pioneer Run. Home to Epsom to Brighton to home. Never saw a single Greeves but Matron never saw me all day either.

The answer is to try different oils until the gearbox stops seizing!

Anyway John, the answers are within your family:

John Wakefield patented the Wakefield lubricator for steam engines in the 1890s.[1] In 1899 he founded the Wakefield Oil Company, but subsequently changed its name to Castrol. The name Castrol was chosen because of the castor oil that was added to the company's lubricating oils. This title has since become a household name in the United Kingdom. The Castrol brand lubricants produced by Wakefield's company were used in the engines of motor cars, aeroplanes, and motorcycles.

A Castrol endorsement contract and the generous patronage of Wakefield provided the funds for Jean Batten to purchase the Percival Gull Six G-ADPR monoplane in which she set two world records for solo flight.

So there you are, you have the answers all along!
                        It was actually CHARLES Wakefield who patented the steam engine lubricator system & went on to form the Wakefield Oil Co in 1889. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...ount_Wakefield
                        Charles was the son of my namesake John. Member of my family? I wish!!!

Comment

Harold Wakefield was a well-known member of the "Castrol" family and was a sponsor of many scramble riders, mainly in the South-West of England. He was known to walk up to a new, and promising rider, and tell him to collect a new bike from his nearest dealer, as it was already paid for........

Comment

oil

rob

Comment

John - I know it was Charles but I just thought it would look better with your name there! You've spoilt it all for those forum users who thought you came from a rich and famous lineage!

Comment

Working...
                              X